Split Ring (Ring Dings) Frustration

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Split Ring (Ring Dings) Frustration

Postby itguy1010 » Sat May 09, 2015 7:45 am

I doubt I'm the only one that feels this way about split rings and their abundance in DS rigging.

Its probably not that big a deal for those that moor or dock their boat but we are going to be trailering regularly so I'm constantly trying to streamline and simplify the process.

In an effort to become familiar and efficient with rigging and de-rigging our new DSII my wife and I have been practicing prior to our maiden voyage/shakedown cruise next weekend. At first when presented with the constant fumbling with these dreadful items I figured there had to be a better way and looked into spring loaded clevis pins with the ball on the end. After reading many posts saying to never, ever use them on standing rigging I figured I'd just deal with it and use the split rings. My fingers are sore from the constant separating and poking myself under the nail etc. I keep dropping them in the driveway just as I'm about to get the end in the clevis pin hole. Arrrggghhhh!

Today I discovered split ring pliers used in bead crafting and for fishing tackle. The ones for fishing tackle look a little more robust and I'm off to find a pair this weekend. They open and hold even the smallest split ring without wearing out your fingertips. I've also seen the Ronstan split rings that have one end of the ring curled inward to facilitate installation and I plan on getting a couple packs of those as well.

Anyone ever use these pliers or modified split rings for rigging? Good? Bad? Otherwise?

Here's a link to the pliers:

http://www.boonebait.com/index.php?main ... ts_id=5053
Eric White
The "Jackie Beck"
73 DSII #6428
itguy1010

Re: Split Ring (Ring Dings) Frustration

Postby rnlivingston » Sat May 09, 2015 10:38 am

I understand your frustration with split rings. The rings with the curved ends definitely are easier to use. I haven't tried the pliers, but they sound like a good idea. Let us know how things work out.
Roger Livingston
DS 6872
Mariner 4096
rnlivingston

Postby GreenLake » Sat May 09, 2015 3:44 pm

The secret ingredient is simply practice. I can do two split rings in the time it takes an inexperience crew for one.

There are two basic designs. One has one of the ends curve slightly inwards. Like this, except on mine the curve isn't as pronounced:

These are really easy to use, just rotate them on or off. On mounting, once you catch the hole in the pin, you can further help the process by giving a bit of a sideways pull that helps the end separate (out of plane, as it were) a bit further to allow it to get started a bit easier.

The other design looks like this:

Those require a push on the L corner to make the ring open (out of plane), but don't require any pliers. I find them a tad harder to use than the other design.

Now, these rings don't need to hold any great loads, all they need to do is stay in place, so the pins don't fall out. There's no reason therefore to get any extra strong and therefore extra stiff ones. For extra security, for longer trips, boots kept on a mooring or at a dock, you could always tape the ring.

Finally, there are other designs for the pins or alternatives to the rings.
Should be easier to fit, but I don't know whether this design would be more likely to snag sheets.

I have one like the one on the left, with the ball, for the shrouds on another dinghy. They are usually set up that you need to push a button to allow the little ball to slide in, which otherwise locks the pin. They are a replacement for the pins (usually called "quick connect pins" or something like that) and super easy to use.

This might be an alternative to the rings. Not sure if it has a higher risk of coming off, but, especially if secured by a bit of tape, might be fine.

Anyone else use something other than standard split rings?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby itguy1010 » Sat May 09, 2015 8:28 pm

Great info as usual GreenLake. Thanks. I know, practice makes perfect. It will take some time but I have to say that my new split ring pliers work great.

Picked up this pair at WallyWorld for about $8.00 in the marine parts aisle. Anything that will make it easier for my wife to get the ring dings into the stays as I'm securing the mast tabernacle.

Here's a couple pics...
Attachments
DSC_0145_640x480.JPG
DSC_0145_640x480.JPG (179.2 KiB) Viewed 12948 times
DSC_0144_640x480.JPG
DSC_0144_640x480.JPG (224.55 KiB) Viewed 12948 times
Eric White
The "Jackie Beck"
73 DSII #6428
itguy1010

Postby K.C. Walker » Sat May 09, 2015 9:00 pm

I like the Ronstan rings. Do make sure to have extras on hand because occasionally lines will get snagged on them and bend them. Technically, I think they should be taped. It really would only take an extra minute. However, I don't usually do that and most of the time they are fine.

Those split ring pliers look like the bomb, I'm going to have to get some.

I almost always set up my mast single-handed even if my wife is around. I leave the side shrouds connected even when trailering. To set up, I just walk the mast back, set it in the back mast cradle, connect the tabernacle hinge pin, walk to the back of the cockpit, hoist the mast onto my shoulder, press it up overhead and walk forward, hand over hand, until the mast is vertical, held by the side shrouds. I have already connected the jib halyard to the forward chain plate with an old 5:1 boomvang in line. While holding the mast, which takes little effort, I reach down and pull the jib halyard taught and cleat it off. Now everything is secure (held by the jib halyard and two side stays). I walk forward yank on the 5:1 tackle until I have a little slack in the fore stay and comfortably connect the clevis pin. I normally run fairly high rig tension so the fore stay needs to be pulled down about an inch to get connected. To bring the mast down I basically do everything in reverse, including the jib halyard routine to take tension off the clevis pin.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby itguy1010 » Sat May 09, 2015 9:34 pm

K.C. Walker wrote:I like the Ronstan rings. Do make sure to have extras on hand because occasionally lines will get snagged on them and bend them. Technically, I think they should be taped. It really would only take an extra minute. However, I don't usually do that and most of the time they are fine.

Those split ring pliers look like the bomb, I'm going to have to get some.

I almost always set up my mast single-handed even if my wife is around. I leave the side shrouds connected even when trailering. To set up, I just walk the mast back, set it in the back mast cradle, connect the tabernacle hinge pin, walk to the back of the cockpit, hoist the mast onto my shoulder, press it up overhead and walk forward, hand over hand, until the mast is vertical, held by the side shrouds. I have already connected the jib halyard to the forward chain plate with an old 5:1 boomvang in line. While holding the mast, which takes little effort, I reach down and pull the jib halyard taught and cleat it off. Now everything is secure (held by the jib halyard and two side stays). I walk forward yank on the 5:1 tackle until I have a little slack in the fore stay and comfortably connect the clevis pin. I normally run fairly high rig tension so the fore stay needs to be pulled down about an inch to get connected. To bring the mast down I basically do everything in reverse, including the jib halyard routine to take tension off the clevis pin.

Great explanation of the single hand rigging procedure. I like it. Now, you do this on the trailer just before backing down the boat launch ramp? I can't imagine trying to put up the standing rigging while on the water although I'm sure someone will say they do it all the time.

I was trying to figure this out in my head and what I came up with was that we would park near the launch ramp and raise the mast and rig it before getting in the waiting line. Was also thinking I'd get the main flaked and furled with a bungee but ready to go and same thing with the jib. Back the trailer down the ramp, float the boat off the trailer and secure to the dock. Park the trailer and start the motor and disembark. I have my doubts that it will go anything like this the first time but we are going to be at the ramp early in the AM to avoid the masses of humanity.

Next weekend is the first chance we'll get. Extended outlook is crappy again so I told the wife to be prepared to drive for a few hours if necessary to skirt the bad weather. Tired of seeing my new boat living in the pole barn on weekends. It's got to be smooth sailing somewhere right? :wink:
Eric White
The "Jackie Beck"
73 DSII #6428
itguy1010

Postby K.C. Walker » Sat May 09, 2015 10:18 pm

How you have it envisioned in your head is pretty much how I do it... And yes, on the trailer for the mast set up and rigging the sails.

The water temperature here is still in the mid-40s. It was a beautiful sunny 80°+ day yesterday. We went down to the beach to go for a walk. I think the wind was off of the North Atlantic. It was pea soup foggy and in the mid-50s… Burr!
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby TIM WEBB » Sat May 09, 2015 10:22 pm

K.C., I do it pretty much exactly the way you describe, with two exceptions:

First, I connect the jib halyard to a ring on the winch post mast support, rather than to the stemhead, because second, I'm using a quick release lever on the forestay. Here's one source:

http://www.bargainboatparts.com/p-10316 ... evers.aspx

I'm using the top hole of the 3-hole version. With it open, I don't need a whole lot of tension on the halyard to get the forestay pinned, and closing it gives just the right rig tension.

itguy, that forestay connection is the only place I have to install a split ring during setup, and I too prefer the curlicue ones. Sidestays stay connected for trailering. For most other connections (mainsheet, topping lift, etc.) I use snap shackles. Your description of "launch procedure etiquette" is pretty spot on: rig as close to the ramps as you can w/o holding up anyone else, then get in line and launch. Obviously make sure there are no trees or power lines between the two! Unfortunately, that issue prevents sailboats from using what would otherwise be really nice ramps. Other ramps are the complete opposite, and have staging areas that allow you to rig up and literally just back down the ramp ...
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby itguy1010 » Sun May 10, 2015 6:11 am

K.C. Walker wrote:How you have it envisioned in your head is pretty much how I do it... And yes, on the trailer for the mast set up and rigging the sails.

The water temperature here is still in the mid-40s. It was a beautiful sunny 80°+ day yesterday. We went down to the beach to go for a walk. I think the wind was off of the North Atlantic. It was pea soup foggy and in the mid-50s… Burr!

Hi, K.C.

(This is off topic but...)

Just noticed you're in North Stonington, CT. Not all that far from where I grew up on L.I.S. My Grandfather kept his fishing boat at the marina in Southport for awhile and then moved to the Fairfield marina by Penfield reef. My uncle who had the Contention 33 sailed out of Black Rock Yacht Club. He was a highly successful racer and I spent many wild and downright scary hours crewing aboard that boat. It wasn't my kind of sailing but I sure learned a lot and got used to all kinds of conditions. He had that boat made to order and shipped from England just to win races. At that time, I really preferred hauling in Bluefish and Stripers with Grandpa to getting screamed at by the captain of Ornen (Swedish for The Eagle) rounding markers in heavy weather.

Do you sail the Sound in a DSII? I recall it used to get pretty choppy out there even on a good day.

Eric

P.S. I've often thought about visiting Fairfield and Southport but I suspect that the changes (since 1973 when mom and I left for Michigan) would probably just be a little depressing.
Eric White
The "Jackie Beck"
73 DSII #6428
itguy1010

Postby itguy1010 » Sun May 10, 2015 6:16 am

TIM WEBB wrote:itguy, that forestay connection is the only place I have to install a split ring during setup, and I too prefer the curlicue ones. Sidestays stay connected for trailering. For most other connections (mainsheet, topping lift, etc.) I use snap shackles. Your description of "launch procedure etiquette" is pretty spot on: rig as close to the ramps as you can w/o holding up anyone else, then get in line and launch. Obviously make sure there are no trees or power lines between the two! Unfortunately, that issue prevents sailboats from using what would otherwise be really nice ramps. Other ramps are the complete opposite, and have staging areas that allow you to rig up and literally just back down the ramp ...

Thanks, Tim.

I've been using my spinnaker halyard as a temporary topping lift for getting the main ready to go up. I read some other posts in other threads that a formal topping lift can induce a bend in the mast above the stays if left with a load on it (such as a furled main with canvas cover). I'd like to add a topping lift but I really don't want to tweak the mast. That gold anodized spar is too pretty (and pricey). Perhaps this is just for those that leave the boat moored with the rigging up all the time.

Any thoughts?

Eric
Eric White
The "Jackie Beck"
73 DSII #6428
itguy1010

Postby K.C. Walker » Sun May 10, 2015 10:45 am

Tim,

Yes, connecting to the stemhead (that's what I meant to say) :-). That Johnson lever tensioner is definitely slick. I have two locations that I use a split ring at set up, the pin for the mast hinge in addition to the forestay. Have you got an alternative for securing the hinge pin? If one of these split rings is going to get damaged by a sheet snagging it, that's the one.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby K.C. Walker » Sun May 10, 2015 11:17 am

Eric,

Fairfield and Southport along the water are definitely Gold Coast. That area in general is way more congested than it was back in the 70s.

I don't feel like the Daysailer is really well suited to Long Island Sound. I mostly sail Fishers Island Sound and little Narragansett Bay. Though, there are days when it is fine, but it feels like really big water (especially this end where it is exposed to the Atlantic), as does venturing out in Block Island Sound. There are an amazing number of really good places to sail inshore in this area, though. And being a trailer boat it's easy to take advantage.

It's amazing how many racing skippers get that Capt. Bligh thing going. It's a good way to get people turned off to sailing.

A topping lift is super handy for launching and retrieving the way you are describing. It keeps your furled sail out of the way and out of the cockpit. Actually, you're the first person I've heard voice concern about damaging the mast with a topping lift. I am not at all concerned about it and don't think there's much risk. There are a huge number of people that put their boats out on a mooring, using a topping lift and a cockpit tent.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby TIM WEBB » Mon May 11, 2015 11:29 am

K.C. Walker wrote:Tim,

Yes, connecting to the stemhead (that's what I meant to say) :-). That Johnson lever tensioner is definitely slick. I have two locations that I use a split ring at set up, the pin for the mast hinge in addition to the forestay. Have you got an alternative for securing the hinge pin? If one of these split rings is going to get damaged by a sheet snagging it, that's the one.

Ooops, you got me K.C.! Yes, I forgot about the one on the mast hinge pin. ;-P

Never had a sheet snag there tho ...
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Return to Day Sailer II Only