Motor bracket question

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Motor bracket question

Postby MRS2008 » Mon May 25, 2015 4:22 pm

I am hoping someone on this forum might be able to help me out with a motor mount question. I have a 1977 vintage DSII with four through holes in the stern measuring 3 1/2 inches vertically and 5 3/4 inches horizontally which must have been used to secure the previous owners motor mount. The problem is I do not have the motor mount and want to replace it with a new bracket without having to drill new holes. I am hoping this may be a standard size mount- perhaps even one supplied with the boat when new that can be easily replaced. I will attempt to attach an image to illustrate the hole configuration.

Thanks in advance!

[attachment=0]mount.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
mount.jpg
mount.jpg (27.42 KiB) Viewed 3124 times
MRS2008

Re: Motor bracket question

Postby TIM WEBB » Mon May 25, 2015 10:00 pm

Hmmm ... not sure what to tell ya?

Many DS2s of that vintage came with this on the stern (including TRW, a '79):

TRW was missing this tho:

and I couldn't find one of those anywhere! Well, I found one, but the guy wasn't selling ... so, I made this:

Garelick basically gave me a piece of the composite lumber they use on their motor stands, one of which came with my Honda 2. Originally had PVC trim board there, but it was not strong enough and cracked. The rest is galvanized carriage bolts/nuts/washers/lock washers and aluminum box extrusion/strip. Need the square PVC board spacers on the carriage bolts because the threads don't go all the way to the heads.

I guess all this doesn't really help you, since the bolt pattern on your boat doesn't fit this at all. I guess your boat came in before this thing was being put on? Hopefully those more knowledgeable than I will chime in w/ some advice for you ... ?
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Re: Motor bracket question

Postby itguy1010 » Tue May 26, 2015 8:52 am

MRS2008 wrote:I am hoping someone on this forum might be able to help me out with a motor mount question. I have a 1977 vintage DSII with four through holes in the stern measuring 3 1/2 inches vertically and 5 3/4 inches horizontally which must have been used to secure the previous owners motor mount. The problem is I do not have the motor mount and want to replace it with a new bracket without having to drill new holes. I am hoping this may be a standard size mount- perhaps even one supplied with the boat when new that can be easily replaced. I will attempt to attach an image to illustrate the hole configuration.

Thanks in advance!

mount.jpg

I'm not sure if your '77' transom is the same as my '73' but sometimes simpler is better. I put a 1969 Evinrude Lightwin 4hp on the back of our DSII when we sail. No bracket, just a good piece of dense foam padding to protect the gel coat from marks from the motor clamps. We trailer the boat every time we use it so I don't keep the motor mounted to reduce stress on the transom while bouncing down the road.

I'm sure you could fill those holes without too much trouble although I'm probably not the best person to suggest what compound to use for that. I considered attaching a permanent swing down motor mount but the way I've got it now is much less trouble. No interference with the rudder and my only complaint is that when I "heave to" the motor is a little bit in the way to get full rudder/tiller deflection to cancel out the jib.

Also, I find that I rarely, if ever, fire up the motor. I've found that just having the sails ready to go and a push off the dock works very well in most of my recent situations. I do like having the motor for some of the boat launches that are on a canal or just sheltered by a lot of trees surrounding a cove.

Hope you find something that works.

Eric
Eric White
The "Jackie Beck"
73 DSII #6428
itguy1010

Return to Day Sailer II Only