Reefing Options?

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Reefing Options?

Postby itguy1010 » Wed May 27, 2015 5:49 am

Just wondering what my options are here and the effectiveness of main roller reefing.

I have no reefing points on my main sail and the wind is forecast to be just a little strong for next weekend's outing. Since the wife and I are getting to know this wonderful boat I don't want to freak her out by running with a lot of Dacron up. I can handle the boat in heavier air but she gets a little worried when the heel angle kicks up. So, to moderate the performance of the craft I thought I might use my roller reefing gooseneck and my reefing claw to decrease my main's size and therefore have a little more sedate experience on the water in the heavier air. My concern is with the reefing claw. I understand how it works in theory but am wondering what holds it on the boom from sliding fore or aft of the preferred location on the boom for my mainsheet block system. I don't use the aft traveler system. Just a Harken swivel block and an eyelet with block about midway on the boom.

Any suggestions or experienced advice?

Eric
Eric White
The "Jackie Beck"
73 DSII #6428
itguy1010

Re: Reefing Options?

Postby ChrisB » Wed May 27, 2015 2:27 pm

Eric,

The mainsheet itself holds the claw in position. You slide the claw into approximate position and attach the mainsheet to the claw. The tension on the mainsheet will hold it there.

Sail shape is another issue entirely. It is generally agreed on this forum and elsewhere that roller reefing just plain sucks. While it does effectively reduce sail area, the shape of the reefed sail is poor at best. Slab reefing/Jiffy reefing yields a much flatter shape to the sail which helps to depower it. It isn't an option for you for this weekend but I would consider it long term. I had a local sailmaker add a second reef point to my mainsail. It cost me $100.

For this weekend, roll it and have fun. If the wind is really wild, leave the jib down, pull the centerboard about 1/3 of the way up and sail under the main alone. Boat speed will suffer but you will have a calm ride in otherwise hairy conditions.

Chris
Chris B.
ChrisB

Return to Day Sailer II Only