rigging confusion;newbie

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

rigging confusion;newbie

Postby seasick » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:47 pm

hi all. Glad to have found this forum! I'm new to sailing and to my DS II. I bought it last year, the seller rigged it for me, and when I pulled the boat out for the winter I tried to make little diagrams for myself to remember how to rig it this year. However I cannot figure out the main sheet rigging for the traveler. (forgive my possible clumsy descriptions and terminology. I study the terms but they don't all stick yet.)

I have looked up all the rigging topics and looked at the pics posted..including the rigging manual that is posted online but still am not sure. So please help. I have two blocks/pulleys at the stern--one port, one starboard. A block? pulley? at the end of the boom and one at the center of the boom. Then I have the thing on the centerboard that you can jam to hold the line or pull up to release the line. From what I gather this is a fairly standard set-up.

I threaded the line from the port block to the starboard block up to the boom-- thru both blocks/pulleys and down to the centerboard 'clamp" (i'm sorry, I have read it's name 5 times here and cannot remember it) Is that correct so far? If so, where do I tie off the end that I threaded through the port block? Tie a knot there, or tie it back to the end of the boom. All the pics I see look like a triangle is formed from the rear blocks to the boom so it looks like the line actually starts from a tie-off at the end of the boom..then goes to the port..thru to starboard.. then back to be threaded along the boom.

Please!! don't think I'm being lazy in learning the terms. I have studied books and some terms I just don't know yet or just won't stick. No one else I know sails or has a sailboat. I'm on my own with this!! Thanks
seasick

Re: rigging confusion;newbie

Postby TIM WEBB » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:37 am

Welcome seasick (did I just write that?!?!)

There are a lot of different ways to rig mainsheets on Daysailers (and many other boats for that matter). AFAIK most DS2's have midboom sheeting, i.e. no traveler/triangle at the stern.

Your best bet here is to post pics of your setup (yeah, yeah, yeah, a picture says a thousand words), and that way those familiar w/ the stern traveler can chime in w/ suggestions. Be sure to get pix of your CB trunk cleat arrangement, boom hardware arrangement, and what you have at the stern. Be very specific, and you will get very specific replies here ... ;-P
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby GreenLake » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:08 am

One way to do it is as you suggest you tie the free end to the boom end, or to a becket on the block that hangs from the end of the boom.

That's how my DS was set up when I got the boat.

I later switched to a different setup using a separate line for the triangle in the back, but I sailed happily for several seasons with the original setup. Even in that setup the mainsheet returns to the boom and is tied off. In the picture you can see that quite clearly.

In the setup depicted, the sheet (golden line) goes trough only one block, but you should be able to imagine what it would look like if it went from the boom to the port transom block, from there to the starboard transom block and back again to be tied off at the becket. (To see what a becket looks like when it's not covered by a big bulky knot, just look at the bottom block in the picture. It also has a becket - it's not used, but I happened to have that configuration block handy when I made the change).

Let us know if this alleviates your confusion.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby seasick » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:40 am

Thank you Greenlake and Tim. And thatnks for the picture and terminology. I haven't been able to take it out yet this year so that will likely clarify things if it sails. Glad to know there is more than one way to do it. Growing up my Dad had a Pearson Hawk (i believe ..long time ago) . where I would occasionally handle the tiller, watch for luff in the sail, and come about for the tack. That is the extent of my sailing knowledge.

However, last year I purchased a ton of insurance, lowered the CB, hoisted the mainsail, dropped in the rudder and the boat took off! I was a millionaire!!! My Dad's sheet line did go directly to the CB so I was much confused by my set-up; but it is clear it would be difficult to handle the boom that way.. I am female and it is heavy. The boat flies!!

I haven't sailed with the jib yet, and I haven't adjusted the 'gooseneck' (huh?? okay, will check that out and work on it) but I wanted a sailboat and I'm taking on the challenge of learning it.

One more question please. Does the rudder go in at an "L" shape or do i open it so that it extends straight down? I thought I saw a picture where the rudder is straight down. Thanks for your help and support.
seasick

Postby jeadstx » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:53 am

You have a kick up rudder. While sailing the blade is normally down. If you should hit something, the blade will no k up. Steering is much easier with the blade down. If you don't have one, you may want to rig a downhaul line on the rudder to keep the blade down. Some sailors use a break away cleat to secure the downhaul line so it will release if the blade needs to kick up.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby seasick » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:35 am

Yes I do have a 'kick-up rudder! This is good to know, thanks. Barnegat Bay, NJ is where I sail, off of Long Beach Island and it is shallow thus centerboard boats better than Keel boats here, and a kick-up rudder is good. I have been using the rudder in an "L' shape .. live and learn, now I know!

I love my boat. It is a 1973. AARP would not insure it because it is too old. (i am really more concerned with liability tho) But that cracked me up.

I recently had to re-attach the bracket that holds the mast spreader and learned what a pop-rivet gun is. So much easier than the mcgiver ideas I had. I also tore my hair out for awhile trying to find a ladder that would fit on my transom and work with the short gunrails. I tried the hook-over ladder and forget it! I finally settled on a dive ladder that detaches as it has a small bracket. A little spendy but worth it. It hangs at an angle so very easy to climb in. Learned about 3M 5200.

Thank you all for your quick and helpful replies. I'm so happy to have found this forum. This will help me so much.
seasick

Postby willyhays » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:55 pm

Ahoy Seasick,
Welcome to sailing! It sounds as if you are learning a lot and having tons of fun.

I know you didn't ask for this, but I thought just in case you are interested I'd recommend two books you may find helpful.

My favorite learn-to-sail book is "Start Sailing Right" produced by the Red Cross and US Sailing. The text is clear, concise, and easy to understand; the book has many helpful illustrations. You can find it used for a very low price on Amazon.com

Essential reading (especially for anyone concerned with liability): US Coast Guard Navigation Rules. Available free online or in paperback from the US Coast Guard.

Good luck in your adventures!
willyhays

Postby GreenLake » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:34 pm

My homeowners' insurance told me that they cover small sailboats, so I have not seen the need to take out "tons of insurance" specifically to cover boating. You might check with your agent. I do carry an umbrella policy to increase the liability limits, but that just extends whatever protection for the same situations covered by the other policies. It never occurred to me to try to insure it for its value; a used DS is just not expensive enough to make that worthwhile.

Your '73 is ten years younger than my '63 DS1, so no wonder the AARP thought it was too young to qualify. :shock:

For sailing related books you might check your local library (if in a place where sailing is common). If you are lucky, your local bookstores may have a tiny sailing section, so you could check out what they offer. There are a number of good books, and some may have a style that works better for you, or simply reading the same thing in different words, or seeing it in a different diagram or photo may make something clear. Many books tend to be written (mostly) for keelboats. Dinghies, such as the DS, behave a bit differently, so that not everything carries over. Books that have sections on dinghy sailing might help you out.

If your rudder is held down by a wing nut, you may need a pair of pliers to get it tight enough so the rudder is held down. Or you can attach a small line to the front of the rudder blade, lead it up and to some cleat on the tiller; that would be a "down haul". But in that case the cleat better be a special kind that releases when overloaded, otherwise you'll break your rudder when you hit an obstacle.

About 3M 5200 - have never used it. It's rather permanent, I hear. When I need some permanent connection, I tend to use epoxy, when not, I might go with some other product in the 3M family, one that allows the joint to come apart again, if needed. I hear that 3M 4200 (or others) are alternatives for that purpose (they bond and seal, but supposedly bond a bit less permanently). The longer I own my boat, the more I appreciate the need to take things apart for maintenance...

Don't let that scare you, we've all done things to our boats at first that we wouldn't do again today. Inevitable learning curve. Go out and have fun!

(If you feel you might be caught out in too much wind for your skills / crew weight, then I would investigate adding a reef hook to your boom, and reef points to your sail -- a set of reef points sets you back about $100 - $150 or so at your local sailmaker. Check the threads on reefing).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby seasick » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:51 pm

I think I checked w my homeowners initially, but will double check. I have a small engine on the boat and must use it to get out of the marina. It is a narrow "lagoon' that looked fine in early spring when I got the slip, but did not realize that both sides are lined with expensive boats in the summer, making the area even narrower.(I don't know why..there are plenty of regular slips available) I must pass by the fueling area where boats pull out, and also by the ramp. I can see the ramp when I leave, but not on my way in until I'm there

My first try with the engine when I first put in looked like the boat scene in "Weekend at Bernie's." I didn't hit anyone thankfully, and don't think I made it to 'YouTube" but it was scary and embarrassing. My boat hauler this year turned down my throttle (thankfully..again..who knew?) I also had to learn to resist the urge to Slow Down--and therefore start drifting== when encountering another boat. So for the $156 a year it was peace of mind. This weekend I saw a boat-owner with a slip near mine not be able to make his slip. He had to go out to open water to turn around and I saw the mad-house of the fueling dock, boat ramp, and others heading out. I realized this is "Not Just Me". This is bad. I get a stomach ache going in and out..and I never go on weekends. I will look for better mooring next year.

I will look into the books recommended, definitely. I have "Invitation to Sailing" which is a good primer, but I agree I like reading several sources. The rudder is as you described..it can be adjusted to go straight down but will bend up if it hits bottom. Good on that. Thank you all again for your advice and encouragement.
seasick

Postby GreenLake » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:07 pm

With experience, even situations with a bit of traffic will become manageable. After several years of sailing on my own I joined a weekly fun race (beer can race) where before the start there are about a hundred boats milling about, all under sail only. Not quite the same, but you get the idea.

That said, when I'm sailing by myself I like to go out on days that aren't crowded.

I extend that to the point where I will happily sail at night - only last week I got back in at 4am - because the lake under the full moon and with a gentle breeze was just too hard to resist. We had planned to simply sail into the the sunset and twilight and be at the dock much earlier, but having the lake to ourselves and under those conditions was simply irresistible.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby K.C. Walker » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:16 pm

I was really tempted with the full moon and wished I'd had lights. Under sail I suppose I could have just used a flashlight. I love being on the Lake without other boats. Even with just a whisper of a breeze it's pleasant because of no boat chop. I have been enjoying the morning light, though. I've been rolling out of bed just after sunrise and getting on the boat before coffee or breakfast (and I'm a coffee addict). There are some fishermen out but they're pretty quiet.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby GreenLake » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:53 am

We had so little traffic that we could have easily lit up the sails with a strong LED flashlight (each of us carried one).
There was one big barge passing us in the channel, but with his search light, he didn't need any light coming from us ;)

That said, I do have a set of lights:

The thing that looks like the Enterprise is a base I made to be able to clip on the light to the stemhead fitting. After several years, I'm redesigning it slightly, by making the two "tail fins" from metal, instead of wood for added durability and strength. (Note that the drawing is missing the bolt that I embedded with epoxy, so I have something to screw the light to the base -- those lights already have a threaded hole).

Or you can pay about twice as much and get a different light with a magnetic base.

I still light up my sail when anybody comes close at night, but the colored lights sure help to tell which way we are heading.

For a stern light, I'm using a big flashlight that can be put in lantern mode (all around light). And I tape off the dark sector. Because under sail and under 7m we are not required to have lights, I'm not worried whether the lights are approved, just that they serve the purpose of being seen.

With the full moon and other lights on shore, there was enough light to sail by, even to read the wind. But having lights is still a good idea and I always have this set in my bucket -- you never know.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer II Only