DS chainplates, major fail

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

DS chainplates, major fail

Postby njsurfboat » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:41 am

I can't emphasize enough to replace all DS 2 chainplate fittings with new ones from D&R. The new fittings accept 1/4" bolts for deck mounting. Oem #8 or #10 screws are very prone to Breaking.
njsurfboat

Re: DS chainplates, major fail

Postby seasick » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:06 pm

I looked chainplates up on DR marine. I don't recognize them. Where are they--what do they do? I'm new so I'm serious when I say I don't know. I am updating and reinforcing my old rigging so need to know what they are. Thanks
seasick

Postby TIM WEBB » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:12 am

seasick, just to add a bit to your knowledge (confusion?), there was a bit more discussion about chainplates not long ago in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5038

The chainplates are what the shrouds (sidestays) attach to at their lower ends. They are located at the rubrail a little bit aft of the mast. There have been failures of the chainplates (like broken bolts as njsurfboat's did, and/or pulling through the rail), so as a bit of PM I decided to reinforce mine, as others have done as well. If you are replacing yours, you might consider a similar upgrade.
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby seasick » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:21 am

Thanks Tim. I did look at that other thread and it was probably more confusing and "greek" to me.

I looked up chainplates on DR and what came up was 2 of them for about 89 bucks?? Maybe I didn't have my glasses on. They didn't look anything like mine.

My chainplates (at least on the deck side) are about 1 1/2 inches in length and secured by two screws. They have a loop sticking up where the shroud attaches. (can I say "sidestay?? It took me 3 days to remember "shroud" . sigh...) I tried to peek underneath to see how it looked there but decided to let it go for now as I have my hands full with the mast damage and the other rigging. I gave it a technical inspection on top tho --they looked nice and shiny. (lol)

Perhaps what came up on the DRmarine search was the wrong thing ?
seasick

Postby GreenLake » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:11 am

Are you sure you looked in the parts list for a DaySailer? They do sell stuff for other boats.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby ldeikis » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:23 am

It's too bad we can't merge these threads.

http://www.drmarine.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DR141
$13.50 ea

http://www.drmarine.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DR142
$12 ea

Are the original chainplates just screwed into the hull? Mine are through bolted with what looks like two 1/4-20 ss bolts, thru stainless backing plates under the lip. It's clearly not original, but I think was pieced together from non DS-specific parts by a previous owner. The top part has TWO holes, one aft of the other, but within an inch or so of each other. I had to widen them with a dremel to accept the larger pin in Rudy's upgraded shrouds.

Seasick--if I remember correctly, stays go front and back (fore and aft if you prefer) and shrouds support the mast to the sides. Those of us with limited nautical vocabulary (I include myself there) have been heard to say sidestay, so you're not the first. If you say sidestays everyone will all understand you, same as if you said mainsail rope instead of mainsheet. It'll just be hard to find in a search engine.

Luke
'74 DSII sailing Haverstraw Bay and the lower Hudson River
ldeikis

Postby seasick » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:45 pm

I will look underneath and see what it's attached to. It is attached to the rubrail. not on the cuddy. Thanks for the pics and prices..that is what my top side one looks like. I just went through their search engine.. I'll know not to assume it's Daysailer now and make sure. Thanks
seasick

Postby talbot » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:09 am

This is interesting. I have seen/heard of several chainplate failures, but none before where the steel failed. Rather, the little stainless backing plate pulled right through the deck, taking a chunk of the curled-over deck/hull joint with it. It was one of the first DS II deficiencies I heard of, and for 25 years I have always put my chainplate bolts through 6" hardwood dowels to spread the load. (Other local sailers use sections of stainless tubing.) When I refinished the hull two years ago, I also put additional laminates of fabric/resin on that section.

NOW you tell me I have to worry about the stainless steel itself. (sigh) I guess i saw it coming. Noting that my hardware-store 306 SS #10 bolts were deformed after a season, I bought a whole box of 316 bolts on E-bay, enough to replace all four every season.
talbot

Postby GreenLake » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:56 pm

You'll want 316 for better corrosion resistance in salt water.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby njsurfboat » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:02 pm

My point is that #10 bolts are the FAIL. The new hardware accepts and includes 1/4 inch hardware. Mo betta. If the glass failed, I'd vet the shrouded were over tightened?
njsurfboat

Postby TIM WEBB » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:14 pm

Not necessarily nj: every system has a weakest link, and in some cases of CP failures, something other than the bolts has been the culprit ...
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Return to Day Sailer II Only