DS ll rigging tips

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

DS ll rigging tips

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 07, 2001 6:35 pm

After getting the hang of my DS ll for a month now (one eventful capsize) I'm wondering how other go about modifying the rigging of the boat. Firstly the jib sheeps are hard to trim when singlehandes as the cam cleats only operate easily when pulled form straight acroos or slightly foward. I bent mine facing aft but they returned to their original angle. Any source for replacement fittings that fit the esisting track and are adjustable for angle? Do some mount a cleat on the centerboard trunk like some race rigged DS 1s? If so how are fittings attached to a boat that has a liner? I saw a DS 2 that had jib tracks moved to the top of the combing....but alot of spider crack had appeared in the area. Basically the jib cleats are my only gripe.....how about the practicality of a traveller? Also to sme rig lines to keep the rudder kicked up....and if so how is it attached? Thanks guys......great boat.....never had so much fun until I downsized.

Harris (hg-at-myhost.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 08, 2001 9:12 am

For rigging tips beyond those shown in the owners manual, check out the Day Sailer Association web-site, www.daysailer.org . This is mostly "racing" tips, but some couls apply to those of us who just use our DS for "daysailing".
I bent the camcleat mounting brackets on my DS II, and they've stayed that way. The problem that I've had though, is that although the jibsheets are easier to adjust in.....releasing them is now harder! I have a 1979 DS II.

Rod Johnson, "SUNBIRD" (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 13, 2001 9:08 pm

For some more ideas, go to the thread below under "DS II Only" and then "Mounting cleats on CB for jib sheets".
One word of advice. Don't use a horn cleat for any sheet. You'll want a quick release cam cleat.

I have the same problem and have not changed it because I keep finding more important things to fix (and I'm getting pretty good at that awkward move to set the jib as it is). Maybe next year.

Bob Cramer (RJCramer10-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 12, 2002 6:23 pm

I have completely changed the rigging, so I can easily sail solo. First I dumped anything that said Shaeffer. I replaced the main block with Harkens. I put blocks on the sidewall slides and swivel harken mounts on the center board housing for the jib.I tried putting the main halyard off the mast on the deck but used the wrong size and it wouldn't hold, though the smaller one did hold the jib (it just made it easier to raise and secure the jib.

David (LevyLaw-at-juno.com)

Return to Day Sailer II Only