DS II Hiking Straps Installation

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: DS II Hiking Straps Installation

Postby Skippa » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:31 am

Excellent feedback Talbot, You nailed my concern about drilling thru the transom. I was leaning towards 1.5 in only because I thought swim/pool noodles might fit easier over them. I am having some trouble finding "friction buckles" but every thing else seems easy enough to source. The plan is coming together, Just need to commit to the anchoring spot for the rear attachment points. Only 6 more months till spring launch.
Skippa

Postby Salty Dog » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:15 pm

I am going to put hiking straps on my boat as well . I was going to run them thru the cuddy drain holes back to the bolts in the lower gudgeons. I bought a wench strap to us as the strap. I haven't started the project yet. I was wandering if that would be good placement and from reading this tread it seems to be.
The only thing is the strap is nylon.

SD
Salty Dog

Postby talbot » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:32 am

It will last for a while, but you should retire it when it starts getting brittle and fuzzy from broken fibers. If you have a cockpit cover over your boat, the nylon should last for years. It won't be in direct sun for that many hours (unless you get to do a lot more sailing than I do). The main thing is, you don't want a hiking strap to break when you are totally committed over the side of the boat. You would go head over heels and the boat would probaby capsize.
talbot

Previous

Return to Day Sailer II Only