Preparing For Winter

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Preparing For Winter

Postby Rakozy » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:30 pm

I live in Minnesota and Fall weather is beginning to show itself. This week- very cool mornings and warm 65 degree days with the leaves beginning to turn vibrant colors. We call it Indian Summer and anyone who calls MN home will tell you this is their favorite time of year!

With cold, freezing weather on the way, [what should I do with the damp, watery bilge area of my DS II] ?

I don't have inside storage available, so I'm just going to put a large tarp over the mast to form a large tent for the boat itself. Place mouse poison on the floor of the boat to eliminate rodents taking up residence, and wrap her up like a present to be opened next Spring.

Your suggestions?

Rakozy
Rakozy

Re: Preparing For Winter

Postby kokko » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:03 pm

Install and inspection port on the cabin sole and leave it open Tip the boat up and leave the drain plug out
DS1 Truelove
kokko

Postby Baysailer » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:37 pm

I don't know about the DS 2 since it has an inner hull but I've always been a fan of flipping the boat if left outside for winter. Would have to block or tape the centerboard slot and probably make a frame so it can sit on the trailer comfortably. For me a bigger concern is storing the sails. I use totes but know that's not the best for the sails.

Fred
Baysailer

Postby powpowhunter » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:29 am

I've only had my boat for 1 winter, but I did just as you described Rakozy, and it was fine. I live in South Central Wisconsin, so maybe it's a bit milder than your neck of the woods, but still pretty harsh. I did not open the inspection ports as kokko suggests because I was afraid that blowing snow could find it's way in there. I did tip the trailer so the drain plug was lower, and left the plug and the self bailer fully open. Tarp tied down over the mast on it's stand, and everything else moved inside. Was just fine when I opened her up this spring. Mouse poison might be a good idea, but it can also make a mess. I've got a weasel that lives in my backyard, and garter snakes under the house. Between the two they keep the mice to a minimum. :shock:
I do use Fred's method for my little aluminum fishing boat, but it's much easier to flip than the sailboat would be.
-Tyler
1977 DS2 #8389 "Tidenaut"
powpowhunter

Postby Signalcharlie » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:10 am

1. Some folks put a low watt light bulb inside their Sunfish over the winter, and rig a fan like a small computer fan, that helps dry out the internal foam. I would suggest a screen over any open port if stored outside, lest the rodents fill up the bilge with leaves or the mouse eats poison, then expires inside the bilge :(
We had to evict a rat out of a rescued Sunfish hull a few years back, still pulling out twigs, leaves etc...

2. Don't leave the sails, line, life jackets etc in the boat IOT avoid more critter nests.

3. Your climate is dryer than here in FL but we we leave a way for air to circulate, or else we get moisture under tarps and then mildew.

4. For those that leave the mast up, check the turnbuckle nuts for tightness, we had a turnbuckle work loose over several months from wind vibration and the tabernacled mast toppled, luckily it only went a few feet over onto the edge of our second story roof and there was no damage.

5. Make doubly sure that the drain plugs are left open and leaves won't collect/clog the drain. Frozen water and confined spaces don't mix well in fiberglass boats.

6. And/or Winter over in Florida, we could start up the Snowbird Fleet!
Kent and Skipper
1971 DS II #4624 "CYANE"
Small Boat Restoration blog http://smallboatrestoration.blogspot.com/p/o.html
Signalcharlie

Return to Day Sailer II Only