Question about mast support.

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Question about mast support.

Postby itguy1010 » Thu May 12, 2016 8:59 am

I was just looking through a user's gallery (Tim Webb) and saw a photo of TRW being trailered with the mast supported from a stanchion at the trailer winch and from the rear (I assume a transom gudgeon mounted support?). This is exactly how I trailer the Jackie Beck and have had no problems on my short trips.

My question is about supporting the mast at a third mid-point, say somewhere aft of the cuddy bulkhead. We're about to embark on a 4 hour drive to northern Michigan for a week of sailing in and around Grand Traverse Bay and I was concerned that the lack of support at mid-mast might cause too much flex with all the bouncing around and damage the mast. It is just the mast. It is an Al Spar yellow anodized mast made in CT and I'm not certain that it was original equipment. I keep the boom in the cuddy and lashed to the CB trunk.

Am I crazy? I figured I'd just put my un-used wooden scissors support that came with the boat and lash it to the mast amidships so it stays put.

Thoughts?

BTW, I spent yesterday afternoon working on the deck surfaces with the recommended 3M Marine Restorer and Wax. Holy cow! That stuff is amazing. Takes a fair amount of elbow grease but it brought out quite a shine in the white deck and cockpit areas I applied it to. I kept it off the textured areas because I really didn't want the foredeck to be like an ice rink when I have to go up there. But anyway, thanks to GL for the suggestion.

Edit: Photo for clarification.

Eric White
The "Jackie Beck"
73 DSII #6428
itguy1010

Re: Question about mast support.

Postby TIM WEBB » Thu May 12, 2016 9:43 am

Hi Eric,

Before I installed the mast hinge, I had a much lower support at the back (yes, gudgeon mounted), and needed the tall support at the front so the mast would clear the cuddy roof. With the hinge, the rear one needed to be higher for the same reason, to clear the cuddy roof when pinning the hinge. I just never got around to lowering the front support, but I kinda liked it high because it allowed me to open the rear hatch on my old tow vehicle with my old trailer. My new tow vehicle also has a rear hatch, but the new trailer also has a longer tongue, so I could probably lower the front support and still have clearance. I've towed TRW all over the place, including over 400 miles to Pensacola and back, for over ten years now, without any center support, and haven't had any problems.
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby GreenLake » Thu May 12, 2016 9:51 am

The easiest way to support a mast at the center is to add a support that sits on the tabernacle/mast stump. I have a keel-stepped mast, so in my case, I just drop a support in where the mast goes and that sits on the mast step. Bet you could just take a spare tabernacle and add one half to the bottom of a 2x4. That would make a pretty good midpoint support - but make sure that something, either the support, or a line from the deck cleats, holds the mast down, so it cant "bounce" while you trailer it. My mast supports are all set to hold the mast level (so I can use it better to hold up a tarp when the boat is in storage).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby jeadstx » Thu May 12, 2016 2:53 pm

My mast is supported by a support on the front of the trailer and a support in the stern of the boat. I have trailered mine for about 9 years in this manner, with some trips over 500 miles without any problems. I have thought about a third support from time to time. A third support does not have to be very strong as the end points carry most of the load. What I have thought of doing is to take a piece of 2x4 (a little longer than the hinge plate) and fit it to sit inside the hinge plate. Drill holes to secure to the hinge plate with the existing hinge plate pins. Then attach a vertical support to the base high enough to support the mast. Have a "V" notch for the mast to sit in. Lash it for trailering.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby itguy1010 » Thu May 12, 2016 3:39 pm

Thanks, guys. I appreciate it. I'm over-thinking it again.

I do like both the suggestions though. I may keep my eyes out for a piece of scrap mast material for just this purpose. I've seen it going for nearly nothing or free from time to time. But, then its just one more piece of sailing gear to keep track of. Simpler the better.

Looks like I'm going to continue to not have a use for that Oday wooden scissors mast support/boom crutch. It is, however, really good at pinching hands and fingers in. :roll:

Happy trails (wakes). :wink:
Eric White
The "Jackie Beck"
73 DSII #6428
itguy1010

Postby GreenLake » Thu May 12, 2016 3:51 pm

You could mount it decoratively over the mantelpiece to remind you to go out sailing on the next occasion...
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby klb67 » Thu May 12, 2016 4:23 pm

I'll add what I do, which may or may not be a good idea. I'd be interested in feedback. My mast rides much like how Tim's is shown in the picture. I use line to tie the boom to the mast (with about a 1-2" gap so they don't rub), at the rear fairly close to the rear mast support, but not so close that it will hit if it sways rearward), and then I use the main sheet block (mid-boom sheeting) to slightly tension the mast and boom - I don't pull it as tight as I could get it, just so the slack is taken up. It seems to keep any bouncing up and down, or side swaying of the boom, to a minimum. I've used this for local trailering only, and haven't though about whether a mid-mast support would be useful or needed for longer trips.
1976 DSII - #8039
klb67

Postby itguy1010 » Thu May 12, 2016 7:35 pm

GreenLake wrote:You could mount it decoratively over the mantelpiece to remind you to go out sailing on the next occasion...

Reminders to go sailing...

Hmmm?

About as useful as reminders to breathe, eat and dream about blue water cruising. Ha, ha. But, I think you have the location close. What is the mantelpiece usually placed over? There! That's the likely destination for this object. Besides, the sacrifice may appease the gods of wind & weather. For a short time perhaps.

:P
Eric White
The "Jackie Beck"
73 DSII #6428
itguy1010

Postby GreenLake » Fri May 13, 2016 2:26 pm

Well, there you go.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Fri May 13, 2016 2:33 pm

klb67 wrote:I'd be interested in feedback.

Snugging things down to keep them from bouncing around is most assuredly beneficial. Will the slight tension hurt the mast? If the deformation stays within the elastic limit, I would expect not. I somehow doubt that this would lead to more metal fatigue than leaving the mast unsupported, but free to bounce, but I'm not a mechanical engineer.

What would be bad is if the springs on your trailer are tuned just right so that they would bounce the mast in resonance....
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby hsubman » Fri May 13, 2016 5:04 pm

20150824_183334 [484109]resize.jpg
20150824_183334 [484109]resize.jpg (132.75 KiB) Viewed 8340 times
This is how my '83 DSII was when I picked her up. Towed her all the way from Traverse City, MI to nw Ohio behind a Jeep Grand Cherokee. No problems at all. The stern support is a cut-off boat oar in the rudder bracket. The boom is lashed to the mast with bungee straps. The mast is held down with several turns of a dock line tied off to the aft deck cleats. Mast is still straight as a rail. Survived a lot of road construction! hth, John
John
'83 DSII, 12279, MARY RUTH
hsubman

Return to Day Sailer II Only