New DSII owner in Florida

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

New DSII owner in Florida

Postby FloridaTom » Fri May 13, 2016 6:11 pm

Hi - My first post here :

Recently "rescued" 1975 DS II, Hull #7457

The boat was originally from NJ, and I believe we're the third owners, the second being the Boy Scouts of America !
When we got it last month, it was a bit umm ........ rough - We calculated it sat uncovered (in NJ and/or FL) for 18+ years.
We named it, of course, "Scout" :~)
I'll have to post some photos in the DS II forum.......

Tom
FloridaTom

Re: The official, un-official Daysailer number list.

Postby DigitalMechanic » Sun May 15, 2016 5:10 pm

Tom,

What part of Florida are you located? I am in Jacksonville.
DigitalMechanic

Postby FloridaTom » Mon May 16, 2016 8:26 am

Hey !
We live "out west", south of I-10, between Chipley and PC.

Actually found the boat (or rather, my wife did) over towards you - In Lake City.
It was on CL, advertised as a "16' sailboat", with some truly nasty-looking photos.......

Tom
FloridaTom

Postby DigitalMechanic » Mon May 16, 2016 8:25 pm

That is way out yonder near the Chattahoochee, literally... lol. Congrats on the find!

I imagine you have a bit of work cut out for you if it sat for 18 years. Hopefully the fiberglass is structurally sound. I got lucky... My hull was in good shape and the gel coat on it was original (which I spent a bit of time buffing it back to shiny... ish). Outside of that I honestly I feel like I pretty much bought a hull, spars, and a motor (that needed an overhaul) for the money I paid. Pretty much nearly everything else has been replaced. But it should not be that tough/expensive, to get it seaworthy so you can start sailing it. I think I would have re-done everything I replaced anyway, even if the original stuff on the boat was in good condition, as a lot of the original setup is inefficient in contrast todays plethora of options. Folks on here seem to rig their boats different ways, so there is plenty of advice to be had. I have a '76 that is not far off in age/style from yours. If you would like to see any pictures of my boat to get ideas of how you want to rig it, PM me I will send you my info.

-Paul
DigitalMechanic

Postby GreenLake » Tue May 17, 2016 11:22 am

I'm moving this "chat" out of the DaySailer number list thread. Please don't hijack "service" threads like that.

Unfortunately, there's no way for me to copy the initial post back into the unofficial numbers list thread.
Tom, if you want your data collected there, would you mind repeating it there (just the info).

Feel free to chat under this new heading, but if you get into specialized discussions on particular issues
it helps everyone if you make a new thread with a relevant subject line (like: "how to inspect my spreaders?").

If a thread has a clear purpose, I'll help you move it to the most appropriate section in the forum, so others
can find it and respond.

And, finally, welcome to the forum!
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Re: New DSII owner in Florida

Postby DigitalMechanic » Tue May 17, 2016 12:19 pm

Sorry, I feel like I am constantly creating cleanup work for you, with all the random segues that occur in my conversations :oops:

Thanks for moving it for us GL!
DigitalMechanic

Return to Day Sailer II Only