Side Stay Adjustments

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Side Stay Adjustments

Postby jsbowman6 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:35 pm

I just got back in from sailing and noted the leeward side stay (either side) becomes very loose. Is that normal? If not how should a 1975 Oday daysailer be setup?
Attachments
leeward side stay.jpg
leeward side stay.jpg (129.18 KiB) Viewed 14429 times
jsbowman6

Re: Side Stay Adjustments

Postby Shagbark » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:59 pm

Loose? Yes. Very loose? I would say no. But then again, these are very relative terms. I believe I have my rig tensioned enough because I struggle to attach the forestay when rigging. Not very scientific, but if it's a pain in my a*# to attach the forestay, I must be closer to getting it right than getting it wrong.
Shagbark

Postby TIM WEBB » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:42 am

Most tuning guides suggest "slight" slack in the leeward stay in moderate winds. Pretty subjective, but a good place to start.

Here are some good ones:

https://daysailer.org/ODay-Owners-Manual
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby DigitalMechanic » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:16 pm

When I bought upgraded 1/8th stays from Rudy at D&R, he told me the side stays should make a twang when plucked, and the leeward one should go a little sloppy when underway. You probably can do that with out a Loos Guage, but if you are a numbers guy here is what I have noticed...

My side stays have around 180lbs tension when the mast first goes up, but after it sits for an hour or 2 it goes down to around 150-160lbs. The forestay will be less at roughly 60-65% what the side stays are. For example if the sidestays are at 200lbs tension, the forestay is probably going to be between at 110-130lbs of tension. This was about where I was at after following a tuning guide about mast rake and bend, etc. I did not quite like 200lbs tension on the sidestays, not so much because of how it sailed, I was just nervous about the toughness of the boat. Anyway, a buddy of mine that races said he would tighten the rig up considerably, roughly double what it is now. I asked him if that would either break the gunwales off the boat with a good gust, or put the mast through the bottom of it coming off the right wave, lol. He seems to think the boat would handle the tension fine, but I am sticking with my gut and keeping it where it is at. I am not that experienced of a sailor, but I think it sails fine. Maybe I will appreciate more tension on the rig later? Anyway, I think there is probably a bit of room to adjust the rig tension to ones preference. It does not sound like a one size fits all kind of thing.
DigitalMechanic

Postby GreenLake » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:40 am

Looks a little loose in the picture.

Loos gauge and "twang" method delivered the same results on my boat.

I have never bothered to check mine for creep - but something to look at after a longer outing
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby itguy1010 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:37 am

I've looked at your photo about a dozen times and to me (again, no expert) for your point of sail which I'm guessing is close hauled in a light wind, it seems kind of loose. But, all the previous comments are how I do it.

The thing I've heard to NOT do is tighten the side stays while underway. I trailer sail so my setup is done on the ramp before launching and I get everything about "twang" tight and I've never had a worry.

One other thing...

You might want to consider rigging that main outhaul. The jam cleat on the boom looks empty in your pic.

Have fun. :D

Eric
Eric White
The "Jackie Beck"
73 DSII #6428
itguy1010

Postby jsbowman6 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:52 am

All,
I was sailing in some fairly fresh wind previous to a thunderstorm. Not sure how fast the wind was gusting, but it would heel the boat to a point, I wasn't comfortable, so I dropped the jib to reduce power some. I haven't sailed in 13 years or more and that was last done on an O'Day 22 which I am very familiar with and trust. This little fellow, I'm not certain at what point of the heel, I'll go overboard. One day I may put on a mae west life jacket and push it to the limit. Anyway that stay was just floppy. The stays are also loose on the ramp. I noted the spreaders had pulled a rivet loose on each and I'm certain that's not helping matters. I have new spreaders and rivets, but am waiting on Amazon to ship new spreader boots. Then I intend to go to adjusting. I like the idea of some tension while unloaded.

Eric,
Huuum, so the fitting on the boom is a jam cleat? I have 2 other cleats near the out haul and use them since the mains out haul line was a bit short. Is the other boom fitting for the vang? Thanks.
Attachments
haul and vang.jpg
haul and vang.jpg (125.02 KiB) Viewed 14359 times
jsbowman6

Postby klb67 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:25 pm

I'll go ahead and reply. You have those cleats correct. The one on the side of the boom is the factory main outhaul cleat. It sounds like someone added additional hardware at the end of the boom that you are using. I wonder if that added hardware might be for a reef system. You also labeled the factory boom vang cleat. A swagged ball on a wire goes in the slot.
1976 DSII - #8039
klb67

Postby TIM WEBB » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:54 pm

Just FYI, for anyone considering high rig tension, it's a good idea to reinforce the shroud chainplates. I did this:

See image description in the gallery for specifics. Some have also reinforced the stemhead up under the foredeck using various methods - a quick forum search will show the posts.
Tim Webb
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby DigitalMechanic » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:05 pm

Is the bottom of the chain plate upside down? Where did you get those?
DigitalMechanic

Postby TIM WEBB » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:05 pm

DM, these are the beefed up ones from D&R that have the larger hole to accommodate the larger clevis pin on the heavy duty turnbuckles they sell. They are not upside down - not sure why you're seeing that?

More details are in the pic description in the gallery.

<edit> Ah, OK, you are thinking the backers are upside down, but I replaced them w/ SS tube. Again, see gallery description.
Tim Webb
TIM WEBB

Postby DigitalMechanic » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:49 am

Yep, was talking about the bottom. I think that a SS tube makes great sense to distribute the load a little more. Great idea! I remember asking Rudy why that bottom plate was so small. He seemed to think it was okay, but he was not recommending a lot of rig tension. But if you were one of the racing guys that wants to put 300-400 lbs of tension on the rig, that mod seems like a must. I guess if you are doing serious racing though, most are going with a DS1, which is rigged differently. I like mine a about 180lbs on the stays on my DSII. Been happy with it so far, and so have the chain plates, lol.
DigitalMechanic

Postby TIM WEBB » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:38 pm

I did the mod in order to remove a (rightly or wrongly) perceived weak link. Again, one of those mods I can't take credit for inventing - of course I stole it from somebody else! ;-P

The SS tubing works well, and I believe chrisb used wooden dowels on his. Either is fine. The forestay lever does generate quite a bit of rig tension, but I've never measured it with a gauge.
Tim Webb
TIM WEBB

Postby DigitalMechanic » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:59 pm

I get you on the rig tension. Like I said, I am at 180lbs, and I use the trailer winch to pull the mast forward enough to lock in the forestay. I simply cannot even get it even close by hand. I imagine that a lever on the forestay still might not get me close enough? I use the toping lift to pull the mast forward, and had to reinforce the little block at the top of the mast with SS rivets. I originally had aluminum ones up there but they were backing out from the tension, which I imagine is exaggerated by being that far up the mast. Your SS tube mod should definitely be in the racing sub-forum if it is not already, seems like the perfect reinforcement for a tight rig ;)
DigitalMechanic

Postby TIM WEBB » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:20 pm

The lever *does* get you close enough, because it gives you 2-3". Also, try using your jib halyard, which is just below the thing that you are trying to connect, rather than your topping lift, which is way up at the top of the mast, and probably working against you due to mast bend. Just sayin' ...

Using the jib halyard and the lever, you should be able to use your jib halyard camcleat to get enough tension on the rig to be able to pin the forestay, then close the lever, tensioning the rig and loosening the halyard tension.

I don't recall which sub-forum I saw the SS tube mod on, but my bet would be on rigging. A quick

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=3439

should point you there.
Tim Webb
TIM WEBB

Next

Return to Day Sailer II Only