Position of Chainplate

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Position of Chainplate

Postby Pierce56 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:54 pm

I've recently upgraded my shrouds to 1/8" and need to install new Chainplates from D&R. There are a different size but when I look at the other Daysailers in the yard(9) they seem to have their chainplate location vastly different. Where should the chainplate be located aft of the mast?
Pierce56

Re: Position of Chainplate

Postby DigitalMechanic » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:24 pm

DS I or DS II? I presume DS II because posted in the DSII Only sub forum. On my DSII, if I am looking at the O'Day logo on the cuddy, I can go to the center of the logo and then straight out to the edge of the boat, and the chainplate is located right there.
Attachments
13512006_1386958191331188_4331346654382535035_n.jpg
13512006_1386958191331188_4331346654382535035_n.jpg (34.35 KiB) Viewed 13926 times
DigitalMechanic

Postby Pierce56 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:30 pm

I'll try and post a picture tomorrow. I think my current chainplate is a little more aft. Between the rivet and the O in O'day.
Thanks for the post.
Pierce56
Pierce56

Postby Shagbark » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:08 pm

DM, what's the red line around the horn going to?
Shagbark

Postby GreenLake » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:59 pm

Pierce56 wrote:I'll try and post a picture tomorrow. I think my current chainplate is a little more aft. Between the rivet and the O in O'day.

The way I read the DSA handbook, if you were to alter the location of the chain plates from how they were shipped, then the boat stops being class legal. Apparently, there's no independent specification by the class of where the chain plates must be located, other than to follow the original builder. If you have nine DS in your yard, it would lead to the assumption that you are near a local fleet (and might want to race your boat now or in the future). So this may be an issue.

Chain plate location should affect the fore-aft balance somehow. One question then presents itself: as currently set up, is your boat balanced, or not?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby DigitalMechanic » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:06 am

Shagbark wrote:DM, what's the red line around the horn going to?

That is the tie off for my jib downhaul. When it is down I tie it off there. When the jib is up I tie it off at the mast. It creates a lift that helps the jib sheet cross over on tack/jibes, preventing snagging.
DigitalMechanic

Postby TIM WEBB » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:25 pm

DM, why the double line for the jib DH?
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby GreenLake » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:50 pm

TIM WEBB wrote:DM, why the double line for the jib DH?

Tim, clearly, DM is flying a butterfly rig, with two forestays and one jib poled out to SB and one to P. He's ready for the trades in the Pacific. :D
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Pierce56 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:54 am

Greenlake

My DS II is purely a casual cruiser not now or ever be a racer. Do any DS II's even race anywhere? All I've ever seen or DS I's.

Where is the DSA Handbook online and how would those class legal measurements be taken? If I could reference them I believe it would answer my original question. I had to move my chainplate 1/2" forward, my front hole became the rear hole in the new chainplate and I drilled a new front hole.

Pierce56
Pierce56

Postby DigitalMechanic » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:08 am

GreenLake wrote:

Tim, clearly, DM is flying a butterfly rig, with two forestays and one jib poled out to SB and one to P. He's ready for the trades in the Pacific. :D

Yep I could not afford a spinnaker, so downwind I just fly the new and old jib at the same time, one on each side of the boat. I also installed little wings on each side with flaps. With enough breeze the boat comes out of the water and turns into a seagull. :shock:

Just kidding ;) In that picture the boat is sitting on the trailer in the driveway. Both ends are tied off there for storage because it is not in use/rigged. When the boat is rigged, one of the ends is lead fore through a micro block by the stemhead and then attached to the jib. When the jib is up, I clip it off on the mast. That allows tacks/gybes to lift the foresail up and over the section of calamity on the mast where things like to snag. When the jib is down, I tie it off on the horn cleat by the starboard chainplate, and throw the excess into the cuddy.
DigitalMechanic

Postby windwalker » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:11 pm

DigitalMechanic wrote:
GreenLake wrote:

Yep I could not afford a spinnaker, so downwind I just fly the new and old jib at the same time, one on each side of the boat. I also installed little wings on each side with flaps. With enough breeze the boat comes out of the water and turns into a seagull. :shock:

Just kidding ;) In that picture the boat is sitting on the trailer in the driveway. Both ends are tied off there for storage because it is not in use/rigged. When the boat is rigged, one of the ends is lead fore through a micro block by the stemhead and then attached to the jib. When the jib is up, I clip it off on the mast. That allows tacks/gybes to lift the foresail up and over the section of calamity on the mast where things like to snag. When the jib is down, I tie it off on the horn cleat by the starboard chainplate, and throw the excess into the cuddy.

Not to highjack the thread, but I have noticed the "section of calamity" you talk about. Not every time, but on occasion, while tacking the jib sheets get stuck at the tabernacle. I was actually trying to think of something I could put there to prevent this. Now I see that others have enjoyed the same problem. Is there a simple solution?

Thanks
windwalker

Postby Alan » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:10 pm

There is a simple solution. I first read about it in John Vigor's The Practical Encyclopedia of Boating. The jib tends to catch on stuff ('calamity") on or near the mast while you're tacking. If you run a tight line from the stemhead to the lower part of the mast, the jib will ride over it during tacks and not get caught.

Sounds like DM is getting double use out of his jib downhaul line by having it work for both purposes. Pretty resourceful, I'd say.
Alan

Postby DigitalMechanic » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:45 am

Alan wrote:There is a simple solution. I first read about it in John Vigor's The Practical Encyclopedia of Boating. The jib tends to catch on stuff ('calamity") on or near the mast while you're tacking. If you run a tight line from the stemhead to the lower part of the mast, the jib will ride over it during tacks and not get caught.

Sounds like DM is getting double use out of his jib downhaul line by having it work for both purposes. Pretty resourceful, I'd say.

That is exactly what it is doing. The only downfall to this is that you have to go forward to unclip the downhaul off the mast when you want to douse the jib. But that really is not a problem to me.
DigitalMechanic

Postby windwalker » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:50 pm

Alan wrote:There is a simple solution. I first read about it in John Vigor's The Practical Encyclopedia of Boating. The jib tends to catch on stuff ('calamity") on or near the mast while you're tacking. If you run a tight line from the stemhead to the lower part of the mast, the jib will ride over it during tacks and not get caught.

Thanks, I'll give it a try
windwalker

Return to Day Sailer II Only