Drain plug remove and replace on DS II

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Drain plug remove and replace on DS II

Postby hnash53 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:13 pm

I've tried adding pics, but very difficult. Will try to describe.

Drain plug on bottom has been plugged with caulk/silicon. Top of same plug in back of cockpit on floor is all corroded. How do I fix this/remove this? And then replace?

I have ordered a new drain plug. D&R Marine said that I might have to enlarge the hole to 1 inch.

Can anyone let me know what to expect as I get into there to do this replacement?

Many thanks.

Hal
hnash53

Re: Drain plug remove and replace on DS II

Postby FloridaTom » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:50 pm

The original cockpit drain is made from cast aluminum -
You'll probably need to cut the old one, where it passes through the hull, in order to get it out.
Not hard to do, if the only part of the drain that remains is just what's threaded through the bottom of the boat -

Get a fine tooth hacksaw blade, pass it though the hole, and use it to cut the aluminum barrel of the drain, in 2 places, opposite each other.
Just cut through the old metal - stop short of cutting into the fiberglass.
You should be able to just pry it out then - The new plastic one will fit in the resulting hole just fine :-)
FloridaTom

Postby carl10579 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:01 am

You'll be very happy with a working drain. It empties the boat pretty quickly while underway.

The new drain, at least on my DS-II, led out on the vee and didn't sit flat. I thought of using some Silkaflex sealer on it. I opted instead to grind a flat area for it to sit and have the "o" ring make the seal. You'll see.

Good luck and wear eye protection. :shock:

Carl
carl10579

Postby hnash53 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:01 am

Thanks for the replies. I cleaned all of the silicone/caulk/unknown substances off of the old drain. The top of it that is in the cockpit had corroded quite a bit that the threaded portion just broke off in pieces. So I filed it down flat what was remaining and will get a drain plug to fit in it.

It's very well set in place so I'm not going to remove it now. Underneath, I will fill in around the drain from the underside with epoxy putty, sand, and apply some kind of finish.

Thanks again.
hnash53

Postby talbot » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:46 pm

In fact, even if the bailer is completely sheared off (say, by someone driving his Day Sailer onto the rocks), the boat will sail on, no problem. It will just have a bailer that is always open.
talbot

Return to Day Sailer II Only