Spreader question

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Spreader question

Postby Austin » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:26 pm

Hi all, I'm new to sailing, just picked up a 1982 Daysailer II. Looking at the spreaders, I can't figure out if these are standard, or if they've been modified by past owners. I searched the Daysailer II forum section for spreaders, I see some people are recommending replacing with D&R 1/2" spreaders. If it's already 1/2" aluminum, is it ok, or is there anything I should be concerned about, with the base or otherwise?

Thanks for the guidance,
Austin

Spreader_1.png
Spreader pic 1
Spreader_1.png (201 KiB) Viewed 5914 times

Spreader_2.jpg
Spreader pic 2
Spreader_2.jpg (234.93 KiB) Viewed 5914 times
Austin

Re: Spreader question

Postby Alan » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:30 pm

Welcome to the forum! You picked a good boat to start sailing with.

Going from memory, I think the wall thickness of the tubing that D&R Marine's heavy duty spreaders are made of is thicker than the stock ones. The inner ends are also formed into a square shape, so there's more contact surface riding on the spreader brackets than with the stock round inner ends.

Something you should definitely check is the wire thickness of the sidestays and forestay. My 1980 DSII came with 3/32 wire, which was standard back then. This has been known to break, which can cause a dismasting. D&R Marine sells pre-made stays in 1/8-inch wire.
Alan

Postby TIM WEBB » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:31 pm

Welcome Austin!

The heavy duty spreaders are good, but what you have there looks fine too. Only thing I would change is the way the wire is wrapped around the shrouds. You'll want to use some thinner stainless steel wire, and try to confine the wraps closer to the spreader ends. Then you'll want to either use some rigging tape or spreader boots on the ends to prevent them from chafing/damaging your main sail.

Have fun with your new toy! I had a '79 DS2 for 11 years and loved that boat.

Edit: Alan beat me to the rigging thickness upgrade suggestion! ;-P
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby GreenLake » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:37 am

Rigging tape is self-amalgamating tape. You may have to slice it off, to get it off again, but it doesn't deteriorate of leave a gunky mess. In an application like that, you can leave it in place and not worry about it for years.

The way the wire should look before wrapping it with the tape is that there are two neatly wound sections of wire, extending for about 1/2" from the spreader, with the wire so tightly wound that there's no space between windings.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Austin » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:23 pm

Sorry for the delay, thank you so much for the advice and insights! This seems like a wonderful community. Really excited about the boat.

I took your suggestions and used a smaller diameter wire to attach it to the shroud, and we made some spreader boots. I forgot to measure the spreader length, I'll do that when I get back to the boat this week. Does the line that the shrouds make look ok in the picture? Doesn't look like the spreaders are too short?

All the best,
Austin

IMG_0044.png
spreader
IMG_0044.png (184.34 KiB) Viewed 5857 times
Austin

Postby TIM WEBB » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:52 pm

Hard to tell from that pic, as the spreaders sweep back and slightly up. According to the DS bylaws, the spreader length is optional, but the ones DR Marine sells are 21-1/4".
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby carl10579 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:31 am

Yes keep the safety wire on the spreaders tight. If they slide out of position while trailering you can bend of break a spreader at the base when raising the mast. I just broke one last week. I made a repair but ordered a new one anyway. It's a good idea to check the positioning before raising the mast. I've made spreaders from Home Depot 1/2" aluminum but it's very soft and bends too easily but would work if in a pinch.

Enjoy!

Carl
carl10579

Return to Day Sailer II Only