Jib Sheets Blocks and Cleats

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Jib Sheets Blocks and Cleats

Postby thistle3930 » Tue May 29, 2018 3:02 pm

I've searched the forum and can't find the help I need. If it's out there please point me to it. I bought a derelict DSII at auction and am in the process of restoring her. I cannot identify what the previous owner used for jib sheet blocks and cleats. The attached "jib cleat" photo is of my friend's DSII. Is this the preferred location and type of hardware? My DSII has a large ratchet block on the same type of track in this location. Unfortunately these were backed by rotten wood which had been glued and screwed on but the screws easily pulled out. There are jam cleats 5 or 6 feet aft of these. Were these blocks and cleats for a spinnaker? The other 2 photos are of various hardware on my boat. The two holes forward of the hole for the mast had turning blocks and cleats on wooden "risers" under the cabin roof. The turning blocks aft of the hole have no cleats near by. I suspect these may have been for halyards and possibly a topping lift for a spinnaker. The port side of the cabin opening only has the two upper cleats.

Thanks in advance.
John Garner
DSII 7956 "Martha Nan"
Attachments
IMG_1594.JPG
IMG_1594.JPG (22.02 KiB) Viewed 6608 times
IMG_1592.JPG
IMG_1592.JPG (19.87 KiB) Viewed 6608 times
Jib Cleat.JPG
Jib Cleat.JPG (24.33 KiB) Viewed 6608 times
John Garner
DS II 7956
thistle3930

Re: Jib Sheets Blocks and Cleats

Postby thistle3930 » Tue May 29, 2018 3:03 pm

Sorry for the one photo being sideways.

John
John Garner
DS II 7956
thistle3930

Postby Alan » Tue May 29, 2018 4:37 pm

In the second photo, the upper cleat is probably for a barber inhaul (aka barber hauler), used to bring the jib sheet inboard.

In the bottom photo, the jib sheet track is in the original location, with a new-looking cleat/fairlead attached. Opinions differ on whether that's the ideal location.
Alan

Postby thistle3930 » Tue May 29, 2018 4:42 pm

Thanks!
John Garner
DS II 7956
thistle3930

Postby GreenLake » Wed May 30, 2018 11:00 pm

spinnaker controls vary widely, as many were put on after the fact by various owners.

+1 on the suggestion re: inhauls. You rig them, so they cross over, that way they can be set from the rail as you are hiking out. (You only use them sailing upwind).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby thistle3930 » Thu May 31, 2018 11:15 am

Regarding the cleats on the bulkhead, they are all installed to keep the line from moving inboard. Wouldn't they need to be the other way for use as barber haulers? I'll leave them as is for a while. I will remove them later if I don't find them useful. I hope to have the mast step repaired this weekend.
John Garner
DS II 7956
thistle3930

Postby GreenLake » Thu May 31, 2018 12:39 pm

I read somewhere that the original Barber haulers were in fact outhauls, we tend to use the name by analogy for inhauls as well. On the DS, they are definitely rigged as inhauls (by those who have them). However, as I wrote, you tend to mount them so they cross each other in the middle of the deck, with the cleat for each Barber inhaul on the windward side and the block at the end of the inhaul at the leeward side. That's why the cleats seem to be positioned the "wrong" way around.

This is done because they are upwind controls and you operate them when you sit on the high side while going upwind (and the active jib sheet would be on the low side).

Mine aren't mounted as far out. The picture shows the starboard side of the boat, with the line leading to port (angled downward from the cleat on the left) being the inhaul. The other one is seen in the bottom of the picture. (They both point down because we aren't going upwind and everything's slack. Otherwise they would lead level or a bit upward).

I can usually just reach them when I need to, but a setup with cleats further out like on your boat is better. (We are talking about the small cleat that would be top-most in your picture if it was rotated to be upright).

(I have no idea what the other two cleats might have been meant to accomplish.)
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby thistle3930 » Thu May 31, 2018 1:22 pm

How do I make the photos I attach appear upright? They appear properly on my pc but when i attach them they turn 90 degrees.
John Garner
DS II 7956
thistle3930

Postby GreenLake » Thu May 31, 2018 1:49 pm

The bottom one seems fine. So perhaps it's an issue with "portrait" formatted images being rotated?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer II Only