Detached jib sheet tracks

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Detached jib sheet tracks

Postby Glenpeter » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:06 am

My jib sheet tracks fixed with screws situated on the seat back near the cubby bulkhead have pulled out.I propose fixing this by installing a 4" deck plate below the fixture holes and putting a predrilled aluminum strip backplate behind the seat back and thru bolting. Before going ahead and cutting a hole I would appreciate any input on whether this is a suitable solution or are there going to be any problems with the structure with cutting the seat back in that area? Thanks
Glenpeter

Re: Detached jib sheet tracks

Postby TIM WEBB » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:01 pm

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

This is a common issue with the DS2, and the fix is much as you describe. There is wood glassed in behind the seat backs, and it eventually lets the screws go. Most folks gain access by putting the inspection ports on the forward sides of the cuddy bulkhead, and just use large fender washers to back the bolts.

Starboard side:

Port side:
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby Glenpeter » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:37 pm

Many thanks for your prompt response,the pictures are very helpful and I now know what sits behind the fixture position.
Glenpeter

Postby TIM WEBB » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:22 pm

You are welcome, and to give credit were it's due, I got those photos from Roger Conrad, who covers this repair in his excellent DS2 book.
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby badgley » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:41 am

I literally just did this repair two weeks ago - kind of slow going (and hot), working in the cuddy, but otherwise very easy. Just a note - you might want to have some material for backing blocks handy. I was surprised to find out that my plywood backing was only glassed in the middle, but not on the ends, where the larger screws are. O'Day quality control at it's finest. One plywood strip was totally rotten, about the consistency of wet newspaper. So I had to blindly scrape/pull the ends out and cut two small backing blocks for the larger bolts on the port side. Otherwise everything else was backed by glass or sound wood and the fender washers tightened everything up solidly.

Also, just watch that when you cut the holes for the ports, you clear the benches - there is very little space between those and the bulkhead from behind. I put my first one a little close because I wasn't paying attention and getting nuts on a couple of the bolts for the inspection plate was a much bigger pain than it needed to be.
Brian Badgley
1982 DS II #10911 EGRETTA
Blacksburg, VA, USA
badgley

Postby Glenpeter » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:05 am

Thank you for the tips.
Glenpeter

Return to Day Sailer II Only