DS centerboard controls

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

DS centerboard controls

Postby Dana » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:42 pm

I recently purchased a '73 Daysailer II (hull #6822) and have one issue that requires advice... the centerboard pennant/controls. After launching her for the first sail, the centerboard would not lower. There is a centerboard pennant (hold the board up line), made of stiff shroud material (1 x 19 wire) but it is quite contorted and bent. There is, however, no line/pennant for lowering and keeping the board down; although there is an opening (with small block) in the top of the centerboard trunk that appears to be for such a line. First, do Daysailers normally have both a "keep board up" line and a "keep board down" line? Second, is the attachment of the centerboard lines/pennants as shown in the accompanying photo standard? Third, I've made a quick drawing to show how I propose to install new centerboard control lines to solve the problem... would you anticipate any problems with the proposed scheme?
Thank you very much for taking the time to help a new DS sailor.
Dana Dahlquist
Attachments
c'board trunk.jpg
Proposed installation of c'board controls.
c'board trunk.jpg (49.49 KiB) Viewed 1576 times
c'brd top e.jpg
Existing c'board pennant attached to top of c'board trailing edge.
c'brd top e.jpg (62.58 KiB) Viewed 1576 times
Dana Dahlquist - Victoria, BC, Canada
DS 6822 Grå Fågel
Dana

Re: DS centerboard controls

Postby GreenLake » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:49 am

Dana, welcome to the forum.

I'll push your post to the "DSII Only" section, where we have all the other posts on the DSII centerboard installation. (Look around, you may find a lot of older discussions of this topic with diagrams and pictures).

Hopefully one of the DS2 owners will chime in with a comment; I'm not really qualified having sailed one for a few days but never owned one.

I do know that both lines are standard for a DS. This is because the CB is not weighted. For boats with a weighted CB, you may only need the uphaul.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Tipster1 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:01 am

Hi Dana,
I dealt with this a while ago. There are many different pictures if you look around this BB. I wound up with a block attached under top of cuddy with a 2:1 pulley.

I don't have a photo to post, but I ran line down to hole in bulk head and then aft. It's very similar to Tim Webb's gallery/image_page.php?album_id=100&image_id=2394&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
gallery/image_page.php?album_id=100&image_id=1568

Specific recommendations

1. A snap at top so you can detach it when not sailing. Makes crawling around the cuddy easier.
2. Rig a continuous line from down haul to up-haul looping through cockpit. Tidier.
3. Write up and down on bulkhead unless your memory better than mine.
4. BC I sail in shallow waters, I use a quick release cleat for downhaul and a clam cleat for up haul. I hear a scrape and then POP - up comes the cb. at least partially. Check this out : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YntnL6yUGqU
https://www.clamcleat.com/auto-release-racing-mini.html
Tipster1

Postby badgley » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:03 am

Hi Dana, my setup is the same as the one that Tipster described and linked the photo. Do you already have an exit hole for the CB uphaul where you are proposing in your drawing? I can't remember if all DS IIs had them in the same place. My only concern about your diagram is whether you might have less leverage when the board is up than if the hole is all the way forward. In ours, I find that getting the board initially started from the up position is what takes the most work by far, so I wouldn't want any less leverage in that position than I already have.
Brian Badgley
1982 DS II #10911 EGRETTA
Blacksburg, VA, USA
badgley

Postby Dana » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:31 pm

I didn't want any more time to pass before saying "thanks very much" to GreenLake, Tipster1, and Badgley for your help. I think that I can now make significant improvements to my centerboard controls. This is a very helpful forum... thanks again.
Dana Dahlquist - Victoria, BC, Canada
DS 6822 Grå Fågel
Dana

Postby GreenLake » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:37 pm

Not to worry, hop you get it fixed soon so you can enyoy your Gray Bird.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer II Only