Cuddy Drain Holes

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Cuddy Drain Holes

Postby Woreign » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:14 am

I'm new to this forum and a new owner of a 1982 DaySailer. A friend of mine recently gifted the boat to me and I've been busy getting it ready to return to the water after a 10 year hiatus.

Anyway, my question is about the cuddy drain holes on each side of the CB hump. On my boat, they are about 1/4" above the floor of the cuddy which causes water to pool inside. Granted, my cuddy currently does not have a hatch and the boat has been uncovered during some recent thunderstorms, but shouldn't the drain holes be level with the floor?

Thanks!
Woreign

Re: Cuddy Drain Holes

Postby sextant » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:54 pm

I didn't have any drain holes in 1972 DS II and with similar thoughts as you I made drain holes as close to floor as possible, but it was not right choice.
Drill scratched floor, it was not easy to make holes watertight and result was quite jagged because floor junction with wall is bit rounded, and thereby there are actually 3 layers to be drilled through.
However, after rain there are some water to be wiped. So I believe that 1/4" above the floor is just optimal.
sextant

Re: Cuddy Drain Holes

Postby badgley » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:40 pm

Late reply here, but I also have an '82 DSII and my drain holes are the same way. I thought the same thing at first, but I've since come to realize that I don't think that having them drain completely is really their primary purpose. I also agree that lowering them starts to interfere with the curve and joint between the bulkhead and the floor. I think the key is to just get used to the idea that the cuddy is not necessarily expected to stay dry on this boat during sailing (e.g., the CB hole can also launch water in there.) So really they are just meant to drain enough that you don't have significant weight sloshing around.

If you really want the boat to stay dry when not sailing, I can't recommend a cover highly enough. It keeps our boat bone dry without worrying about all of these things, not to mention keeping leaves, bird poop, UV damage, etc. all to a minimum. We got the SLO cover and it fits perfectly. It's a few hundred bucks, but probably the best money I spent on the boat. Once you get your boat cleaned up, it's amazing how long it stays in nice shape when covered.
Brian Badgley
1982 DS II #10911 EGRETTA
Blacksburg, VA, USA
badgley

Return to Day Sailer II Only