I just bought an O'Day Daysailer II

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

I just bought an O'Day Daysailer II

Postby BarabooBob » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:20 pm

I have been trolling this site for about a week. I recently purchased a really sweet 1982 O'Day Daysailer II on eBay through a donation site. The boat is in immaculate condition with the sails nice and stiff and everything nice and clean. There aren't even any scratches on the fiberglass and the striping and decals look new. The gentleman that donated the boat purchased the boat new in 1982. It has been kept in a garage since new. Included was a Chysler 4 hp with external tank and spare prop, swim ladder, life jackets, anchor, trailer in good condition but needs to be painted, new spare tire, hatch cover, and he had mounted a "pulpit rail" on the front of the boat because his wife was afraid of falling off if she had to go to the front of the boat. I added fuel to the outboard and it started on about the fourth pull and ran good. The boat had to be picked up in Wisconsin within 7 days of the auction closing with payment within 3 days.
Now the good news, at least for me. The final selling price was--drum roll please- $338.50. It turns out that nobody wants to bid on a small daysailer this time of year. The day that I picked it up it was a balmy 35 degrees with snow flurries.
I will be asking many questions. I have been reading all of the postings and look forward to learning from all of you. My experience sailing has been totally in a Sunfish. I have a friend that teaches sailing at a Boy Scout camp and he is going to give me free lessons. Well, almost free because I have to bring some adult beverages to enjoy after we get off of the water. My wife is looking forward to using the Daysailer because she can go out in it with me.
I am retired and enjoy traveling, camping, kayaking, hiking and bike riding.
Now come the hard part, waiting 6 months to be able to use the boat.
BarabooBob

Re: I just bought an O'Day Daysailer II

Postby GreenLake » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:11 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Looks like you lucked out in a big way.

Do you have crew lined up? The DS can be single-handed, but it's more fun with crew and the additional sail compared to a sunfish will make you wish you had extra hands.

The other difference will be that the boat is just that much heavier that any launch/retrieval techniques that you used before may not be the best without some tweaks. Just something to be aware of.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer II Only