No Such Thing as a Free Boat

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

No Such Thing as a Free Boat

Postby daysailingDFW » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:18 am

Went to check out a 1970 DSII that was listed dirt cheap online. Did a walk around. Boat was definitely a project, but seemed solid. Last time it was registered was 2014, been sitting outside since then.

After talking with the seller, we realized the title is missing, no trailer registration paperwork, and while there were four nice crisp sails included, all of them were clearly not the right size for this boat. So we negotiated an even lower price to make up for the anticipated headaches.

After selling three of the sails, I've more than made up for the final purchase price. So essentially she's a free boat. And I know what you're thinking, there's no such thing as a free boat!

Right now the boat is sitting in locked private storage. Has a flat tire and needs trailer lights replaced before I can tow her home.

I'll check back in here as the journey continues to see just how much this free boat's gonna cost me :D .
Attachments
IMG_9956.JPG
IMG_9956.JPG (211.6 KiB) Viewed 7870 times
daysailingDFW

Re: No Such Thing as a Free Boat

Postby GreenLake » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:59 am

Where is this boat located?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby daysailingDFW » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:48 am

Boat's in Dallas. I'm not sure the state registration data is correct. It says it's a 1970 model, but the boat is clearly a DSII which were made 1971 and after!?
daysailingDFW

Postby MediumMike » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:30 pm

HA HA,

A couple of weeks ago we took possession of a free boat, trailer and motor. She is a 1976 Daysailer 2, orange in color. (Everyone knows the orange ones are the fastest boats). The boat looked to be in very rough shape but she has cleaned up well. I will agree "No such thing as a free boat" so far We have about $500.00 into her with more to come. BOAT is an acronym for Break Out Another Thousand. In the long run it really doesn't matter considering all the joy she will bring our family. North Sails = $2400 /smile on the grandkids faces, Priceless.

Cheers everyone!
Medium Mike
MediumMike

Postby GreenLake » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:53 am

These boats really aren't expensive. Biggest expense is sails, but used ones or a cheaper supplier can cut that cost. Running and standing rigging also have finite lifetimes, so will have to be replaced at certain intervals on any boat. If you keep her for a decade, your average annual cost won't depend very much on purchase price or condition.

Being on the water, whether with kids or friends, or in meditative solitude is indeed priceless.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Alan » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:56 pm

Medium Mike wrote: "(Everyone knows the orange ones are the fastest boats)."

Hah! As the owner of one of those for 12 years now, I didn't know that, but I'm more than happy to take your word for it. :)
Alan

Postby daysailingDFW » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:37 pm

Finally got the boat out of the storage area.

We've had a lot of rain recently and the drain plug was clogged with leaves. So when we opened the gate, the bow was up in the air and the transom sitting on the ground from all the water weight in the cockpit :shock: .

First order of business was to replace a bad tire and replace the trailer wiring and lights, so we could drive home without getting pulled over.
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-03-18 at 9.33.47 PM.png
Screenshot 2020-03-18 at 9.33.47 PM.png (197.04 KiB) Viewed 7512 times
Screenshot 2020-03-18 at 9.33.21 PM.png
Screenshot 2020-03-18 at 9.33.21 PM.png (241.29 KiB) Viewed 7512 times
daysailingDFW

Postby tomodda » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:57 pm

Looks like you have a great helper!
tomodda

Postby daysailingDFW » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:36 pm

tomodda wrote:Looks like you have a great helper!

Yep, he's super excited about "his" new boat :lol: .
daysailingDFW

Postby daysailingDFW » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:12 am

We stopped by the car wash on the way home. Layers of black grime were blasted away.

Last couple miles of the drive home I noticed the boat was bouncing on the trailer quite a bit. Once it was in the driveway, I realized the rotten trailer winch had broke at some point. Lucky it was secured well with straps and a safety chain!
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-03-18 at 10.12.43 PM.png
Screenshot 2020-03-18 at 10.12.43 PM.png (236.13 KiB) Viewed 7509 times
Screenshot 2020-03-18 at 9.51.01 PM.png
Screenshot 2020-03-18 at 9.51.01 PM.png (244.33 KiB) Viewed 7509 times
daysailingDFW

Postby MediumMike » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:18 am

Congratulations!!! She a fine looking vessel, with a hardy crew, I'm sure many adventures are on your horizon.

Cheers!!
Medium Mike
MediumMike

Postby welderr » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:38 am

I bought a project boat a few years ago and work on it when I can I have often thought of selling it and buying something ready to sail. I just have a very complicated life and find that my most valuable asset is time, which is something I have no control over :)
1970 DS-1 #4210 Saskia
welderr

Postby GreenLake » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:07 pm

daysailingDFW wrote:... I realized the rotten trailer winch had broke at some point. Lucky it was secured well with straps and a safety chain!

My recommendation for a replacement for the winch line/cable would be Amsteel (or any other Dyneema) which can be sized 1:1 in diameter to the wire cable the winch was designed for, or just a tad thicker for an extra reserve for abrasion/weathering. Dyneema's breaking strength is such that it will easily hold any loads during retrieval and is typically sold in a single braid that is super easy to splice (see Brummel splice).

The mechanical part of the winch may need a bit of restoration or anti corrosion treatment, but should be able to give many years of service.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:22 pm

welderr wrote:I bought a project boat a few years ago and work on it when I can I have often thought of selling it and buying something ready to sail. I just have a very complicated life and find that my most valuable asset is time, which is something I have no control over :)

Some people's hobby is boat restoration / maintenance, not actually sailing, and for some, it's the opposite. The latter will often do the absolute minimum of work required to get or keep their boats afloat and sailing, eschewing anything that would improve cosmetics (but not taking shortcuts when it comes to safety).

Used DaySailers should be cheap enough that you can afford both a project boat and one for sailing, if you are so inclined.

I found for myself, I'm somewhere in the middle. I have bouts where I focus on boat restoration/upkeep/upgrade and times when I just want to be on the water. After some years, I realized that I was sailing less often than I wanted, because I was waiting for the "perfect" occasion: Goldilocks wind, perfect weather forecast, no competing items on the schedule, etc. My solution was to join a local fun race. That provided a definite time each week to be on the water, after work hours. And a chance to meet some people both on the water and afterwards.

Having it on a schedule makes it easier to plan for setting aside time, and the wind and weather are always a bit different on the lake than what the forecast confidently promised. Right now, I can't wait for the current crisis to abate enough to make all that possible again.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer II Only