Mast Flotation for an O'Day Day Sailer II

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Mast Flotation for an O'Day Day Sailer II

Postby sailMSC624 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:52 pm

Any suggestions for a Mast Flotation device for an O'Day Day Sailer II. Has anyone tried the Hobbie float
sailMSC624

Re: Mast Flotation for an O'Day Day Sailer II

Postby GreenLake » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:00 am

Welcome to the forum!

The forum is divided into sections. Some of which are generic to all types of DaySailer, like Rigging, Sails, Repair and Improvement and so on. Mast floats definitely fall into the category of not being model-specific, but sometimes people do talk about about them in the DSII or the DS1 section.

That said, the issue is being discussed at regular intervals here. For details, you'd need to look around the older posts in the forum a bit.

From my recollection reading those discussions, people have used a Hobie float, empty plastic bottles, a thin patch of foam integrated into the top of the mainsail and possibly also one of those devices that inflate when submersed.

I can't tell you whose solutions were actually battle tested. I know one of the guys who used empty plastic bottles and I know that he had two capsizes, but I don't know if that was before or after he adopted the bottles.

There's a discussion thread on capsizing in the Seamanship and Boat handling section of the forum.

Enjoy.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer II Only