Centerboard Issues

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Centerboard Issues

Postby Tipster1 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:47 pm

Perfect day - not. Beautiful wind. Able crew available. 1975 DSII
Event #1. Got to boat. CB frozen half down. Motored to beach and Careened boat. BOB - Barnacles on Board in un-painted. section of board.
(Not sure if I failed to retract board after last sail two months ago or it came down during one of several storms but up-haul will be modified). We scraped most of them off, but still only partially functional. Decided smart move was to motor to ramp.

(Event #2. Half way to ramp, motor quits. Sailed rest of way. Very glad to have crew. Reach ramp and met wife with trailer.
Event #3. Boat trailer has broken main beam. Useless. Was lucky to find local boat hauler quickly - it was a weekday)

Careened boat "on the hard" and tried to solve problem. It had been pushed all the way in during tow to house and moving off trailer. I was able to drag it part way out by looping line over aft/lower end but movement very restricted. Aft section seems quite loose. Up-haul and down-haul seem free and clear. Returned with more tools. A peculiar block of wood at top of trunk dislodged easily.
I scraped around with de-toothed saw. No luck. Still hardly movable. I finally broke down and unbolted CB pivot (Very happy that hardware was fine in a 45yo boat). Pulled board out. Slightly rough, but no obvious problem. Funny black stuff in square hole.
Funny piece of hose on up-haul insertion is split.

I looked around some more. I saw nothing really so I re-positioned board - totally loose now. I still don't know why it was stuck.

Questions?
What is square hole for?
Is hose over up-haul where attached to CB necessary? Should it extend through guides? It's split, and by the looks of the tie wraps, not OEM.
Tipster1

Re: Centerboard Issues

Postby GreenLake » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:30 pm

The square hole is for using the board on a DS1. You can always remove the board, buy a DS1 that lacks a board and you'd be in business :D :D

Seriously, just the effect of model-independent spare parts.

My suspicion (of having followed these discussions second hand) is that the hose is intended to prevent the line from wedging itself next to the board. You may have managed to wedge line and hose, and by taking everything out, cleared both.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Tipster1 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:11 pm

GreenLake wrote:The square hole is for using the board on a DS1. You can always remove the board, buy a DS1 that lacks a board and you'd be in business :D :D

Seriously, just the effect of model-independent spare parts.

My suspicion (of having followed these discussions second hand) is that the hose is intended to prevent the line from wedging itself next to the board. You may have managed to wedge line and hose, and by taking everything out, cleared both.

Thanks for f/u. Ignore square hole or buy matching boat (suicide move in my situation).

Would you recommend replacing beat up hose segment?
Tipster1

Postby GreenLake » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:26 pm

Hose seems like a clever solution, if stiff enough.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Tipster1 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:12 am

GreenLake wrote:Hose seems like a clever solution, if stiff enough.

Good morning! So is this a necessity? Do most boats have this or is it an improvisation? It's not exactly easy to replace with swagged on lines. If replacing, what do you think of vinyl tubing and routing it over metal tabs attached to top of CB?
Tipster1

Postby GreenLake » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:07 pm

The metal tabs also look like an improvisaion - everything to keep the line from being wedged. Now, some guy routed a bit of a channel to keep the line centered - look at earlier posts from this year. Garden hose would be stiffer than the clear vinyl stuff. What do you think?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Tipster1 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:27 pm

GreenLake wrote:The metal tabs also look like an improvisaion - everything to keep the line from being wedged. Now, some guy routed a bit of a channel to keep the line centered - look at earlier posts from this year. Garden hose would be stiffer than the clear vinyl stuff. What do you think?

You're asking me? I'm flattered. All I know is the hose looks beat, so I'll replace if I can find some hose to slip over without too much aggravation and see if it "likes " sitting in tabs.

Up to eyebrows with trailer with broken back and misbehaving outboard. Probably getting new trailer, Shortening or junking older trailer - or buying smaller boat to match. (That would not go well). And replacing impeller on OB.
Tipster1

Postby GreenLake » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:33 pm

Yep, as the owner and person on site you are the "expert" on your own boat. Welcome to your new role :)

Trailers should be relatively easy to come by used - you may need to change the setup of bunks/rollers a bit. This year may not be normal, in that there's been a bit of run on boating/outdoor gear, so your mileage may vary, but in past years I've seen a lot of usable ones on offer.

Good luck with getting things sorted.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer II Only