Bilge full problem

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Bilge full problem

Postby moosebrookmike » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:16 pm

I have a new to me DSII I had on a mooring this season (bought it in mid July) and when I just hauled it out onto trailer discovered the bilge was full of water and sloshing around. I went to the transom and realized the drain plug (not the self bailer plug the one below the water line) was missing. :shock: Not sure what happened there.

Anyway - my assumption was if that plug is taken out when on land it would let the water in the hull drain out but nothing is coming out of it. I tried pushing a thin piece of wire thinking maybe some seaweed or other material was blocking it but no luck.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get all the water from inside the hull and/or what might be blocking it assuming I'm right that this is how you drain the water out?

Thanks!
moosebrookmike

Re: Bilge full problem

Postby GreenLake » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:54 pm

The one below the water line should be the one to drain the space between outer and inner hull, or bilge.

Try pushing in something that's really long on the theory that there may well be an obstruction closer to the center of the hull. Also, to drain a DS hull from that drain, the boat needs to be tipped just a bit. Raise the trailer tongue a foot or so (before even testing for obstructions, because if the trailer is level or nose down even a bit, the amount of water trapped can be significant - this is the same for DS1 and DSII as it's a feature of the shape of the hull -- it has its lowest spot near the center).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby moosebrookmike » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:38 am

Thanks for the info. That's what I thought. The problem is even if I tip the boat all the way down so the stern is almost on the ground nothing comes out. I tried putting a metal wire in and about 6-8 inches it just stops.. as if there's something blocking it.

I noticed in the bilge there is some chunks of foam insulation floating around in the water as well. Is the drain just a straight line into the hull or does it go like left/right into the hull? I can't find any technical documentation or diagrams about how it works .. if it's a straight line into the bilge and opens out can I just run a snake through it?

Thanks again for any help.

Mike
moosebrookmike

Postby GreenLake » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:28 pm

Check out @Wylie's recent posts. He cut off the transom of a DSII and shared pictures and videos. That might help.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby moosebrookmike » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:36 pm

Great thank you!
moosebrookmike

Postby zeroready » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:24 am

Spray a high pressure water hose up the drain pipe. Cleared some obstructions in mine.
zeroready

Postby GreenLake » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:39 am

If it doesn't, you'll end up with more water in the bilge ... :)
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby moosebrookmike » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:37 am

I'm going to try and find a long piece of metal rod to try and push in. My guess is some foam piece is lodged in there that hopefully I can break up.

BTW anyone know where I can buy a bilge plug for the transom? Is that specific to this sailboat or is it just a generic item?
moosebrookmike

Postby GreenLake » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:17 pm

If the opening is straight cylindrical you can get generic plugs (be sure of the diameter). If threaded, you'd have to match the design.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby zeroready » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:53 pm

I got my brass plug from west marine, it came with the assembly for the drain.
zeroready

Return to Day Sailer II Only