headed for Lake George

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

headed for Lake George

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 07, 2002 8:37 pm

Guys,
I bought a 1980 DS II last fall for $1000. Spent the winter in my garage repairing this and that along with $300 and alot of elbow grease. Am going up to Lake George Monday with my 17 year old son for 2 1/2 days of "real" sailing, I hope. never sailed a large lake before. I borrowed a 17 lb. thrust electric motor from my sailing club and a battery charger and battery from a friend. Can't beat the price. It will come in handy if I stray too far from the marina, lose my wind or if a storm rolls in. Looking forward to it very much. I want to sail, my son wants to rent a jet ski and go to the Giants training camp in Albany. Typical! Alot to cram into 2 1/2 days. Hope the weather is favorable.
Comments and advice are welcome.

Mike

mike (mb36360711-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 11, 2002 7:45 am

My only advice is for you to have a great time!!!

K McLeod (kmcleod-at-attbi.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 14, 2002 12:35 am

Tell the Lake I said hi...been there a couple of times and it's spectacular, especially in the fall.

Two things I'd tell you: keep the main sheet in your hand for dumping wind if a gust hits. As I recall the wind up there can shift quickly. And two, a 17 lb. thrust trolling motor will get you back, but leisurely! If you even smell storm, head back.

Have fun and remind your son that when you're on a power vessel you've gotta get somewhere; when you on a sailboat, you're already doing it!

tom (tbeames65-at-cs.com)

Return to Day Sailer II Only