What is the FULL DOWN extension of Centerboard on a DSII??

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

What is the FULL DOWN extension of Centerboard on a DSII??

Postby CentralCoastSailor » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:41 pm

I'm curious about how "vertical" the fully extended centerboard of a DSII should be. On my DSII (1972) with the "centerboard "uphaul" line all the way into the front of of the CB trunk (so that the CB is down as much as possible) the board is angled back a bit. I see that the DS I's in the club all have full down extension (the board is vertical at full-down position). Does anyone know if this is the way that the DSII is supposed to be? I have a 2-part up haul that is preventing full extension, it MAY have been shortened along the way, but I don't know for sure. Have a look at the photo - this in the CB fully retracted - it looks like the pendant from the CB could have been shortened? The swage fitting meets the CB trunk hole and prevents the CB from dropping further.

Anyone have experience with this or know the answer?

IF I get a minute I'll hoist the boat at the lift and take a picture - but don't wait on that!!!! haha
Attachments
IMG_5792cropped more small.jpg
IMG_5792cropped more small.jpg (12.27 KiB) Viewed 2817 times
CentralCoastSailor

Re: What is the FULL DOWN extension of Centerboard on a DSII

Postby GreenLake » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:12 pm

The CB is intended to be used in the full vertical (down) position.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby CentralCoastSailor » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:37 pm

Thanks - that's my belief as well (full down when upwind) - we're thinking that the uphaul pendant may have broken and a new loop swaged in rather than changing out the pendant - I'm thinking a couple more inches of travel would allow the CB to extend fully. I'm sensing a "CB removal evolution" in my future!!!!
CentralCoastSailor

Postby GreenLake » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:13 pm

Sounds like you've got the diagnosis. Now you can read up on all the post here on CB fixes - you may end up doing some variation rather than simply returning it to the prior state. For example using some AmSteel instead of wire and whatever else previous owners have done. Also a good occasion for some TLC on the CB itself, in case yours has cracks our gouges.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer II Only