Automatic scupper drain valves.

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Automatic scupper drain valves.

Postby Tipster1 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:50 pm

No matter how many times I sail, there are days when I forget to plug the cockpit scupper drain before sailing off. The cockpit well back fills and then I remember. Then at the end of the day, after I have rowed almost all the way to shore, I have to go back to open the scupper.

It turns out there are a two different types of one-way valves that would leave the cockpit drain open all the time and prevent back flow when sailing. One type is a ball valve. Another is a flapper.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Y89O8M/?c ... _lig_dp_it
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002FVQ0WY/?c ... _lig_dp_it

Does anyone have any experience with either of these?
Tipster1

Re: Automatic scupper drain valves.

Postby tomodda » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:08 pm

No experience, but seems to me that it just one more thing to break. And at the most recent inconvenient time and place. My solution? Itie my drain plug to the tiller. That way when I ship the rudder (and tiller), I've got this drain plug dangling in my face and say "Oh yeah, I'd better plug my drain." Just have to remember to tie the plug back onto the tiller when I'm draining my boat out after "playtime!" Anyhow, one-way valves and auto-bailers and flapping things are great, I'm sure, but violate the KISS principal.
tomodda

Postby Tipster1 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:55 pm

Nice idea!
Tipster1

Postby tomodda » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:06 pm

Not all THAT great of an idea... True story, I drilled a hole into thumb while holding the drain plug to drill the hole for this tie-off cord. Drill bit went right thru the "tab" on top of the plug and into my flesh, thereby adding a very strangely shaped welt to my collection of ill-gotten scars. Anyway, don't do what I did! Use a vise, like an intelligent person....
tomodda

Postby Tipster1 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:57 pm

Good advice. My drain plug hangs conveniently on line inside transom. I notice it promptly when I hop into boat. It's mostly after I'ved put everything away, locked up and rowed half way to shore....
Tipster1

Postby tomodda » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:06 am

Oh.. You're moored, I trailer-sail, just realized sorry. I'd be even more loath to put something into my hull that will eventually fail (even if it's in my transom). I dunno, I'm so used to having to spend a few minutes with the manual bilge pump before I sail a small boat off a mooring. HandyMate to the rescue! Do enough pumping and you won't forget the scupper plug next time....
tomodda

Postby Tipster1 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:26 am

Haha! I've gotten pretty good at jumping into boat plugging the scupper ASAP before back flow begins (and I only weigh 140). As you say, if not quick enough, HandiMate to the rescue.
I understand the art of simplicity and limiting failure points. OTOH, may I offer you my soon to be published book, "The Art of Laziness"?
Tipster1

Postby tomodda » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:59 am

Hey! *I* wrote that book! Expect a call from my New York lawyer, just as soon as I get off my lazy butt and call her.

As for flapper valves vs plain old pumping your bilges, I think it's a matter of choose your poison.
tomodda

Postby Tipster1 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:13 am

Hmm. I may just get a flapper valve and silicone it on the transom to see what happens. No drilling. No additional holes. Right now my puttering-around-with-boat to sailing ratio is about 50:1 partly because the wind has to be right, the tide has to be right, it can's be too hot, it can's be too cold...

Uh Oh. We missed the boat (sorry). https://artoflaziness.com/
Tipster1

Return to Day Sailer II Only