jib downhaul

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

jib downhaul

Postby Roger » Wed Sep 11, 2002 12:01 am

I am not sure if posting a message with a picture in the photo gallery, also posts the message here on the general board. If so my appologies for the repitition.

I am new to this boat and have figured out a few things on my own and many things by reading this board. I still don't know however, the purpose of the fairleads in the picture posted at the following location.

http://boonedocks.net/talkboard/talkboa ... msgid=2755

I would appreciate any comments.
Roger

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 12, 2002 5:21 pm

You are correct. It does look like leads for tensioning the jib luff (some call it a jib cunningham). Many racing jibs have a wire luff, with the luff of the sail only attatched at the top. This way you can use the jib halyard (with a multiple purchase set up) to set the tension on your rig (basically it acts as an adjustable forestay). You then use the jib downhaul to adjust tension in the jib luff.

Chris Lewton (Cleton-at-erols.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 13, 2002 11:30 am

Roger, the fairleads can be for one of many things, 1) Jib downhaul, 2) Jib cunningham, 3) Furling line for roller-furling jib.
1) A jib downhaul is used to pull the sail down and secure it after lowering, I have one on my DS II that I use once in a while. This allows one to lower the jib without leaving the cockpit, it is attached to the head of the sail and some people lead the line (mine is 3/16") through the jib hanks (or snaps), others just let it hang along the luf of the jib. I had a jib downhaul on my old Widgeon as well, that one I used all the time. In both cases these jib downhauls were added by me, not factory installed.
2) A jib cunningham serves to tighten the luff of the sail, yes..you can do this with the halyard, but the DS jib is no all that much shorter on the luff than the length of the forestay. I have modified my jib tack by removing the original stainless steel shackle that was used to secure the tack to the stem fitting, and added a bronze swivel-snap that is shackled the stem fitting. This raised the jib tack about an inch, and so if I raced, I would lose some of the ability to tension the luff. A jib cunningham would allow me to pull down on the luff against the pull of the halyard.
3) Maybe your boat had the factory-option jib-furling gear originally, or else a previous owner added a roller-furling jib? The fairleads wouls have been to lead the furling line from the lower swivel/drum to the cockpit. Is there any kind of fitting just aft of the stem fitting to shackle a furling drum to?

My guess is that the fairleads were for a jib downhaul, unless a previous owner raced the boat.

Rod Johnson, "SUNBIRD" (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby Roger » Sat Sep 14, 2002 10:35 pm

There does not appear to be any roller furling gear, or any structure aft of the stemhead that it would have attached to in previous lives, nor does the jib appear to have been modified to accept roller furling, (I suspect the jib is original to the set/ no numbers on the main sail/ hull= 1974). That leaves the possibilities as a cunningham, (although I can't imagine the tension increasing that much), or most likely a jib downhaul. I am leaning more to the latter, I think, because I like the idea of managing the jib from the cockpit. There is also a small grommet about two inches down from the head of the jib, which would likely accept a 3/16" line or clip. I also don't recall the last aft fairlead having a cleat. If it was a cunningham, it would have a cleat. I will attach a 3/16" line, thread it through the hanks and give it a try. Thanks people!
Roger

Return to Day Sailer II Only