Rigging question

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Rigging question

Postby Postville » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:54 am

I am a new DS2 owner and getting the boat back in shape. It is a 1977 boat.
I am making an outhaul for the main sail which was missing. I got a Harken micro block and some 3/16 line.There is a missing fitting on the boom, located between the boom end cap and the outhaul Vee jam cleat. I am guessing it is a guide for the 3/16 line. Any ideas of what this would be?
Another question- the sails are not original , the jib has no clips just a cable sewn into the luff. It works but I want to know if it would be good to add the clips.
Thanks for the help. Bob
Postville

Re: Rigging question

Postby GreenLake » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:20 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Some jibs have a luff wire which will take the tension off the forestay. In such a case, the "clips" (or hanks) don't have the same function as in a traditional hanked on sail. The forestay is simply there to hold the mast, but the sag of the luff is controlled not with forestay tension, but with the jib halyard. The hanks, when present, simply help to guide the sail as you raise it and to loosely hold the forestay close to the luff.

My jib has short straps made from webbing that loop around the forestay and are closed with a snap. Those would be easy to retrofit if you felt the need. What might be more to the point would be some sort of halyard tensioner for your jib halyard. I rigged a simple 2:1, the bright blue line in the picture.

The position of the fairlead could be closer to the mast, so as to not pull the halyard away from the mast, but so far it works close enough to satisfaction.

I'm not sure I fully understand your question re: outhaul. Here's a picture of my setup:

(click on the images to see them full size).

As you can see I'm running the outhaul through the grommet a second time, like a low-friction ring. This gains me a bit of extra pulling distance over an alternative solution involving a second block.

On the back side of the boom, the outhaul simply goes forward to a V cleat closer to the mid point of the boom (in easy reach of the helm when going upwind). From there, the tail of the outhaul goes forward where the slack is held by a bungee. The long tail allows setting and releasing the outhaul even from a position closer to the mast.

Any extra fittings or places for them, might be for a reef line or some such.

BTW, as far as that goes, 3/16" is pretty substantial; not ridiculously so, but over the years I've tried to slim down my running rigging (it's usually handling and not strength that defines the smallest practical diameter). Other people are way more aggressive and some boats I sailed on looked like they could have been using dental floss...
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer II Only