Backstay?

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Backstay?

Postby Dgarren » Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:28 pm

Thinking I know the answer, but wanted to check with those in the know. Why is there no backstay on the DSII? I’m guessing that the side stays being aft of the mast is sufficient to bear the stress of forward pressure? Maybe that, combined with the mast hinge only going in one direction? Has anyone added a backstay to their boat, or is it just unnecessary with the setup as is? Thanks!
Dgarren

Re: Backstay?

Postby GreenLake » Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:13 pm

Welcome to the forum.

As you suggest, with the swept-back spreaders on the DS you don't need a backstay.

Which is a good thing as the battens in the mainsail extend its roach past the straight line from mast top to transom. You would have difficulties in getting the sail past a backstay when tacking,

Are you new to the DS? Let us know if you have other questions.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Dgarren » Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:49 pm

Thanks GreenLake! I am new to the DS. Technically haven't even sailed yet. Picked up a wreck of a 1975 DSII in September, and have been working on getting it up into sailing shape again. Near as I can tell, this boat sat in an old farm field for over 20 years of freeze/thaw cycles (Idaho can be tough that way). Lots of fiberglass work to be done, but I think I can get it across the finish line by spring if all goes well. I appreciate your help!
Dgarren

Postby GreenLake » Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:34 pm

Lots of info here. Check out the sections on Rigging or Repairs and Improvements. These would have information that applies to any model DS. However, division of topics isn't perfect, and even the DS 1 section will contain occasional discussions pertaining to stuff that's not strictly unique to the DS 1.

You mention your are new to the DS but don't mention whether you are an experienced sailor or starting fresh. Either way, I usually recommend not planning major departures in rigging or sail plan until you've had a chance to sail your boat a bit and to get a feel for what works for the boat and your sailing style. That advice may have limits when parts are missing or need replacing before you can go sailing. In those cases you won't get around having to make some choice, but again, the advice would be to stick with something that doesn't get too fancy and allows for future upgrades after your test sails.

There's plenty of information here to let you make those choices, but there are always a few of us here to answer questions.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Dgarren » Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:58 pm

Thanks Green Lake! I've been working through the forum, reading up on the boat and much of what I need to do to get it up and running. I don't intend to stray outside the norm - just looking to bring the boat back up to it's stock condition. I'm in the market for new sails, and probably standing/running rigging as well. Lots of fiberglass work (including patching a 2-foot long hole in the hull). Then finishing work, then paint. Oh yeah, then trailer work. All manageable as far as I can tell. I've opened up the deck in the cubby to make the internal repairs to the hole, and will flip the boat and do the bottom fiberglass work once we warm back up.

My family has been sailing for the past few years on a Catalina 22, so we've got some experience. All self-taught (and YouTube University). Looking forward to the DSII for a different experience than the bigger boat!
Dgarren

Postby GreenLake » Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:59 pm

For the DS, "stock condition" is a flexible term. While the standing rigging is pretty standard, the running rigging can be variable. The reason is that the class association never limited the way people might configure their running rigging. Therefore, unlike other boat classes, there's no pressure from the racing part of the community towards conforming to a single setup.

If your hardware is at least serviceable, you could start by spending a bit on new running rigging and simply see whether the setup the boat came with suits your style. Later you can decide on upgrades. The factory supplied running rigging can be improved in ways that you'll enjoy if you like to actively sail your boat, even if you don't race.

Much of that you can get from reading the old posts. You can keep a bit of a wishlist in your head and then see whether any of the items in there feel like they are "missing" from your boat when you go out sailing.

By the way, some of the older recommendations on rope dimensions (diameters) don't account for modern materials. Especially for halyards, it pays to go for thinner/lighter rope but spend a bit to go really low stretch. For sheets, the way they feel in your hand make a difference; you'll end up going for a larger diameter than mechanically needed simply because of getting a good grip. There are a number of posts where people have put down information that's relatively recent, except that we haven't had any updates that reflect any changes in availability due to supply chain and other issues.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer II Only