Day Sailer II - Installing a bailer

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Day Sailer II - Installing a bailer

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 22, 1998 12:00 am

I would like to install a bailer to my boat. Has anybody installed a bailer on a DSII? If so, what kind of bailer and where did you install it?

Earl Baker (EarlABaker-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 29, 1998 12:00 am

If you have have a real DS II , just pull the plug at the aft end of the boat. Works just fine as a scupper!! (Inboard soft-pluG)

Jeff Piersons (Lakeleach-at-clarityconnect.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 25, 2000 3:36 pm

I replaced the original DePersia SS bailer on my DS II with a plastic one bought from D&R Marine. The old one was held on by sealant and a large nut that was seized. I cut it off with a hacksaw and installed the new one easily. I used 5200 to bed the new one, which comes with a stopper that inserts in the hole when you dont want the bailer function. Seems to work fine and cost about $40.

Chuck Hurt (churt-at-drm.com)

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 18, 2001 12:51 pm

I replace the bronze scupper with a plastic one made for a sunfish--perfect fit and no more seizing. If you have a DS/II, you must have something back by the transom...

Dave Bristle (bristle-at-att.net)

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 18, 2001 11:21 pm

On the DS II the stock bailer was located in the shallow well at the aft end of the cockpit, on the early models it was an aluminum DePersia brand unit, later models had a plastic bailer that was basically the same as the one on a SUNFISH. There should be some evidence of the hole where this unit was originally mounted. Replacing the bailer is not hard, mine was broken when I bought the boat and I bought a new one from D&R Marine $34 at the time (now $40).

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 20, 2001 9:22 am

My DS2 has a plug in the transom just above the deck level in the shallow well (aft end of cockpit deck) and it works well for most situations. In heavier than comfortable following seas the DS2 design allows waves over both quarters and this does not drain sufficiently fast enough. I have purchased through West Marine a flapped scupper which will require a 2.5" whole to be cut through the transom. I see no reason why this should not improve things.

MAKurtis (Emak41-at-excite.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 21, 2001 12:38 pm

Mark, be sure that this new scupper will clear the rudder! I bought a flapper to go over the 1" drain on the transom on my boat, and found that if I put it on it would have prevented me from getting the rudder on and off, because the frame was too thick. Maybe your scupper can be located off-center to clear the rudder?

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 22, 2001 12:17 pm

Thanks for the heads up Rod. That's the kinda thing I'd do too. I can off set the scupper and raise it a few inches since it will be in addition to the exsisting plug. I figure it's only needed a couple of times a year and if it becomes worn or damaged it won't contribute to cockpit flooding.

MAKurtis (Emak41-at-excite.com)

Return to Day Sailer II Only