Standing rigging

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Standing rigging

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 03, 2002 8:32 pm

I am in the process of replacing the standing rigging on my 1981 DSII. Had a few questions

1) Does it make sense to upgrade from the sock 3/32 rigging to 1/8.
2) Is there a difference between 1x19 and 1x7 Dynaform(is one better than the other?)
3)What type of turnbuckles should I use? Like the Ronstan sealock but not sure if there is something else that others find work better. Just need something easier to work with than the stock Johnson Calibrated turnbuckles

Also any ideas one this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Shawn Bivins (bivi_1-at-yahoo.com)

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 03, 2002 10:23 pm

Use 1/8" for the shrouds. The stiffer the better, so the 1x7 is better . You can use the 3/32 for the head stay especially if you use a wire luff in the jib. I know a lot of people who like the Staymaster turnbuckles for the shrouds. I like a bullet shaped turnbukle for the forestay.

Chris Lewton (clewton-at-erols.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 04, 2002 5:15 pm

The Day Sailer Association, D&R Marine, Cape Cod Shipbuilding, and many fellow Day Sailer owners all recommend upgrading to 1/8" wire for all standing rigging. When I called D&R for parts after I bought my boat from a friend, the first question that Rudy Nickerson asked was whether the boat still had the original standing rigging, mine was upgraded by the previous owner after breaking at least 2 shrouds. The 1/8" rigging doesn't add that much cost, especially compared to a new mast after the forestay or a shroud breaks.

Rod Johnson, "SUNBIRD" (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby Roger » Mon Nov 04, 2002 8:44 pm

I assume that your are talking about 1x7 in stainless steel are you? I have a galvanized forestay and plan to upgrade in the spring assuming that the ss is stronger. Please correct me if there is no difference.
Roger

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 05, 2002 12:12 pm

Yes that is what I am talking about. What dia. are you looking to use with the 1X7. What kind of turnbuckles are you thinking about using?

Shawn

shawn bivins (bivi_1-at-yahoo.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 05, 2002 12:49 pm

My rigging is all 1X19 Stainless Steel wire, as was the stock rigging.

Rod Johnson, "SUNBIRD" (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 05, 2002 2:40 pm

is the thought that siffer is better.

shawn bivins (bivi_1-at-yahoo.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 05, 2002 2:46 pm

It isnt worth the dabate about which turnbuckles to use. Call Rudy at D&R. He supplied 3 1/8 stays with stainless open body turnbuckles complete for my DS 2 for I believe $140?I belive those turnbuckles are about $20 each. I dont think you can beat that. He suggests other types of turnbuckles if you step the mast frequently. I figure he has already saved me the cost of a dismasting. Call him on the phone and you will see what kind of person you are dealing with. I turned an $800 DS into a $2200 DS with his help. I bought sails, hatchboards and standing rigging form him. $850 total.The rigging fit perfectly.

Harris (hg-at-myhost.com)

Return to Day Sailer II Only