lifting the boat

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

lifting the boat

Postby chapmro » Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:28 pm

I posted back in the summer about a leak I have around the centerboard trunk, the classic one that is described in the book around the uphaul line for the centerboard. My sailing club has a lift that I can use to lift the boat off the trailer to remove the centerboard (mine is held on by a bolt you access via two inspection ports in the cockpit floor). The issue is that the lift was really designed for bigger boats: the slings are spaced 12' apart. The guy who runs the lift thought that was mighty close to the fore and aft ends of the daysailer, and wondered if the boat could be lifted by say the side stays and pintles. I said I'd ask y'all. What is the best way to lift a Daysailer II? My only idea was to run a couple of lines between the slings so they couldn't slide off the ends of the boat. Thoughts?
chapmro

Re: lifting the boat

Postby GreenLake » Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:19 pm

I seem to recall reading about a three point hoist for the DS. But it used the chain plates and bow eye.

I don't think I can say anything more definite as I don't have first hand experience.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby voodooville » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:18 pm

"boat could be lifted by say the side stays and pintles"
My opinion - I would not do this! I push my boat on and off the trailer by my self for hull work.
Bring the lift straps togther to 8' or so... This should be easy to lift and adjust spacing of the straps.
But pick the boat up by the hull, not the fragile hardware and connections through thin fiberglass.
voodooville

Postby GreenLake » Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:01 pm

Sound advice, if you can implement it.

Chainplates on the DSII in particular are something many owners end up beefing up. So they may be underdesigned.

However, for perspective, the weight should be around 600#, more or less. If most of it is on the chainplates, that would be 300# each. The spec for rig tension calls for 200#. That's not that far off. But you'd want to make sure to reinforce them, particularly on a DSII.

If you need to use a lift to get in the water and slings can't be used, that may be your only option, but if so, dig deeper in the old posts here, because I'm almost certain I've seen this discussed before.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer II Only