maiden voyage

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

maiden voyage

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 14, 2003 1:17 pm

took my '74 DSII out for the first time saturday. had a wonderful time. winds were 5 to 10 knots out of the north. sailed on the caloosahatchee river in fort myers, florida. beautiful day. the boat felt great. i had added a ronstan tiller extension and it definitely helped to balance the boat when the wind picked up. i was thoroughly impressed with DS and think i made a great choice in boats. a great day on the water. hope to have many more.

chad (gilliscmnr19-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 15, 2003 12:21 am

Sounds Like Fun. I just walked inside and it was snowing :(

Chris
Washington DC

Chris Lewton (clewton-at-erols.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 15, 2003 10:22 am

not trying to rub it in. i often watch the weather channel and can't resist saying "suckers" when i see a snow storm ripping through the northeast. at least we've got the DSs in common.

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 18, 2003 9:32 am

Not trying to rub it in! Those of us north of Florida only go to this site now to daydream of summer!!

(It's 8 degrees in New Jersey)

Bob Cramer (RJCramer-at-optonline.net)

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 21, 2003 2:38 pm

Alright, already! It's -2 degrees here in the Boston area today. Spring, where are you? All kidding aside, at least this "downtime" gives us an opportunity to work on and "save up" for new sailing fun stuff.

Bonny (bsds-at-attbi.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 27, 2003 11:35 am

update: went out again yesterday. winds started off without a breathe and then built to 15 knots and gusty. boat felt great. nothing like sitting on the windward rail and spilling the main when gusts hit. having a great time with the DSII. pretty darn sure i bought the exact boat for me. have fun in the cold. come down to southwest florida soon to thaw if you can.

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 27, 2003 10:29 pm

Now that's really too cruel.
OK, keep it up and let us Yankees suffer.
Is my own fault for coming back to the site.
Enjoy for us all.

Bob Cramer (RJCramer-at-optonline.net)

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 28, 2003 9:33 am

I to am snowed in and frozen with the "Second Wind" under a tarp in the side yard. But spring is coming and as this is only my second season, I was wondering when all you Yankees start sailing? Anyone brave a warm day in February or do we wait for May or June?

Kit (kcarson-at-easternbag.com)

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 01, 2003 4:24 am

I will start sailing in March, but only because I'm going to Fl for the Midwinter Regatta in Sarasota. In Ohio here, it is hard to start sailing before April. The water is just too cold. Heck it was -5 here earlier in the week!

J.P. Clowes (jpclowes-at-hotmail.com)

Postby Roger » Sun Feb 02, 2003 2:38 pm

Here in Brandon, Manitoba, C-C-C-Canada the water is not cold, it is HARD, as in ... ICE, covered with about a foot or more of snow, (insulates the ice and keeps it cold til spring ya know!) We don't start sailing until May but really enjoy hearing about the Floridians enjoying a day in the breeze. Sail on!
Roger

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 03, 2003 9:30 am

Well here in Anderson SC groundhog day was beautiful, I guess well pay for it later. After an extemely cold spell the 3rd week in January (lows in single digits and highs in the upper 30's) it was 69 yesterday so guess where I was. The wind was strong and gusty so I reefed the mainsail, but what a fun afternoon. A great mid-winter break. Looking forward to spring!
Jim

jim (jimb-at-dsouth.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 06, 2003 7:10 pm

SAIL ON, JIM!

Bonny (bsds-at-attbi.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 12, 2003 9:37 pm

In St. Johnsbury, Vt. tonight it will be a warm -10 if we're lucky. So I'm reading the postings and plan on skiing tomorrow. Perhaps I'll look at my boat in the barn and dream.

Hank Cheney (karehank-at-together.net)

Return to Day Sailer II Only