rivets

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

rivets

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am

what size rivets should i use for repairs/upgrades to mast and boom on my DSII? rudy at D&R said he uses screws. thank.

chad (cegillis-at-naplesnews.com)

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 26, 2003 11:02 am

Do whatever Rudy says. He's the best resource, and I would do exactly what he recommends. For my one spar project, to mount a topping lift pully at the mast head, I used SS machine screws and tapped threads into the aluminum. Drill and tap set purchased at Sears.

Bob Cramer (rcramer-at-optonline.net)

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:57 am

i did as rudy said, which was go with rivets on the shroud attachments to the mast. he said they use SS screws; but with an older mast, it's better to use rivets because of possible corrosion. i replaced both pieces of the mast hinge, the chainplate for the forestay, the gooseneck attachment and redid the rivets for the forestay and mainsheet block on the boom. so far, so good. i sailed solo in 15 to 20 knot winds last weekend and a front came through. it started to rain, so i dropped sail and motored it. it was a pretty rough day on the water, and the rigging seemed to hold up well. for the hinge connections, i used both SS screws and rivets.

chad (cegillis-at-naplesnews.com)

Return to Day Sailer II Only