deck plate access on the bow deck

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

deck plate access on the bow deck

Postby Roger » Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:42 pm

The DS II I own needs to have the boweye replaced. Instead of going in through the forward bulkhead to access the back of the repair, I was thinking of going in through the top, by adding a 6inch deck plate/inspection port. I realize that I willhave to dig out some floatation to get down to the back of the bow eye, and that is acceptable to me. I hope to reline the area with a prefabricated fg bucket of about the same size so that I can reaccess this area if necessary. I hope to also use this area to store a spare mushroom anchor. Any thoughts on the pros and cons of going in through the top of the bow deck? Anyone else done this and have any recommendations?
Roger

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:17 pm

My DS II has a 4" deckplate added to the bulkhead in the cuddy. Your idea could work, but let me give a few cautions: 1) be sure to measure to be sure the deckplate will fit in the right spot, I don't think there is room aft of the raised part of the deck (around the stemhead fitting and cleats) to locate a 6" deckplate and still be forward of the bulkhead.
2) The deck is not flat, so you may need to shim the flange for the plate to avoid warping it (won't seal then)
Other than that, your idea might work. I'm not sure that a mushroom anchor small enought to fit through a 6" openning will be big enough to hold a DS II in much of any wind or current, prehaps a folding grapnel anchor would be better?
I'm thinking of replacing the deckplate (added by previous owner when he broke the bow-eye) with a larger hatch to give better access to the bow from the cuddy. Oh, and at least on my boat, the foam flotation in the bow is all small chunks, so you won't have chip any out, but you may need to temporarily remove a few pieces.

Rod Johnson, "SUNBIRD" (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:20 am

access to the boweye on my DSII is similar to what rob describes, except that the foam is all one big piece. a previous owner replaced the boweye through a 4-inch inspection bow located in the cuddy on the bulkhead. it's a long reach to the boweye nut. just a thought, but i would be warry of putting a plate on the deck.

chad (cegillis-at-naplesnews.com)

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 26, 2003 10:56 am

I have had to gain access to the bow tank (to repair the forstay mount) and ended up going from under the deck, installing a 6" access port. I considered going from the deck, but decided against it because of aesthetics. Floatation foam is loose pieces which were easy to take out and then replace.

Bob Cramer (RCRAMER-at-OPTONLINE.NET)

Return to Day Sailer II Only