Considering Daysailer II For A Novice

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Considering Daysailer II For A Novice

Postby psness » Fri May 02, 2003 7:53 am

A seasoned sailor friend has a circa 1980 DSII he is willing to sell me for $1,000 with a brand new trailer (he paid $450 for it). He never sailed it but rather recently bought it to practice painting the hull before painting a bigger boat he recently purchased. I haven't seen it yet, but he said it is in good shape, hull is orange and doesn't really need painted, could use new sails.

I have a family of four (kids are 12 and 10). Is this large enough for four? Is it a good boat for an absolutely green novice?
psness

Postby Guest » Fri May 02, 2003 10:56 am

I consider the DS 2 a little tight for 4 people.its really a 2 man boat. A DS 1 gives you extra cockpit room.I sailed mine with 3 adults and it felt tight.Problem is that when everyone is on the high side the helmsman gets pushed to the back of the boat..which is cramped and put weight were you dont want it. At rest the boat is pleanty big enough.........but 4 people starts to interfere with trimming and sailing the boat.

Harris (hg-at-myhost.com)

Postby Guest » Fri May 02, 2003 11:29 am

I have a DSI, and agree that there is more cockpit room. I have a family of 5 (three girls, 14, 12, 12) and have sailed with all five on board. In light air it was fine, because one would want to be on the foredeck, another hiding in the cuddy, etc. Something else to consider (especially if you want to race) is that with teenagers, the odds are against them being both willing, and available to go sailing at the same time. I had that illusion at one time. Be careful not to invest in a boat that handles your family "comfortably," only to find yourself short handed most of the time! Most of my sailing has ended up being with one (or two if I'm lucky) of my daughters at best, making the DS a perfect choice.

Tim Dowell (pastor_tim-at-mindspring.com)

Postby Guest » Fri May 02, 2003 2:48 pm

I agree with the above from Tim Dowell. It is rare indeed to get all our kids to sail at the same time. Our kids are about the same age as yours. Seems they always have other stuff they would rather do with their friends.

I think the DSII would be a good choice for you.

-Ron
DSI - #3103

RJ Swenson (rswenson-at-aisol.com)

Postby Guest » Fri May 02, 2003 2:52 pm

I just sold a DSII which I sailed for four years. It's a great boat for a family of four. The only reason I moved on to a DSI was because I have begun racing. DSII are not competitive with DSI. The DSII is very well suited for family fun. I used my from everything from light ocean sailing, bass fishing, exploring on some local rivers. The DSII is a very solid boat and becomes a rapid people mover if you strap on a four horse outboard. If you have any interest in racing, I would not purchase it, but for all around fun, it's hard to beat.

Joe Fram (joefram-at-bak.rr.com)

Postby Guest » Sun May 04, 2003 4:28 am

I used to sail my Old DSII with 4 adults regularly on the lakes I sail on. We were a little cramped but did just fine, and I'm not a small person. (6', 240+lbs) It was a little cramped, and I usually had to try to shift people to balance the boat, but the boat is so stable that in everything under 15 knots, you can have on person on the low side and it is just fine. I too bought a DSI because I started racing, but there are times when I miss the II, (like every time I have to bail her out after heeling too far.)

J.P. Clowes (jpclowes-at-hotmail.com)

Postby Guest » Mon May 05, 2003 8:21 am

The DSII is the perfect boat for what you want to do, i.e. have fun and learn to sail!

Jim (jimb-at-dsouth.com)

Return to Day Sailer II Only