DS II as a Beginner Boat

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

DS II as a Beginner Boat

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 06, 1998 12:00 am

We're novices (just starting out - have sailed a little but have a lot to learn) looking for a small used saliboat to get started. Nathan is 11and I would sail with him. Would you recommend the DSII as a beginner boat. We would sail on Spruce Run Lake (resevoir sailing lake in NJ)

In our price range we've found a '81 DSII (alternate is a Holder '14) in really good condition. It looks like all the fittings and sails are in good condition. It seems like the owner took good care of the boat. The trailor is OK -- rust around wheels. No motor. Asking price is $2000. We're thinking about offering $1700.

Any advice on using this as a beginner boat and things to look for before purchaing. Is the offering price reasonable. Also, any insight on how to get DSII sailing tips (manuals, lessons, etc) would be appreciated.

Thanks -- Tom & Nathan

Tom - Nathan (natedog710-at-aol.com)

Postby boone » Mon Sep 07, 1998 12:00 am

I found myself in your situation in the spring of '97. I was basically looking for a simple sailboat in my price range that I could learn on. It is really by pure luck that I happened upon my 1972 Daysailer II. Although I had crewed on many one-design boats in the same general size range, I had never heard of or seen a DSII before I bought mine.

This boat has been (and still is) a learning experience for me and my wife. We are novices. The DSII is a pretty stable and forgiving boat, and should be easily sailed by you and your son in reasonable sailing conditions. It has helped me that the boat doesn't look brand new and shiny, this means that I'm not afraid to scratch it a little.

From what you've described, $1700-2000 seems like a reasonable price. Be very picky about checking the boat over. Look for all the drain plugs, unroll the sails, get under the boat and check out the centerboard, etc. Try to get the owner to show you how to rig the boat. This is a good way to find out not only how to rig it, but to see if anything is missing or broken in the process.

As far as resources on the DSII, I wasn't able to find many back when I got my boat. There wasn't much in the way of local resources here in Columbus, Ohio, so that's the reason I started this website. The web is a good place to look for answers. However, since you're going to be sailing Spruce Reservoir, there happens to be a local Day Sailer fleet (#86) there. These people would be a great source for learning about a new DSII. I can forward contact names/addresses if you'd like. Join the class association (check their <A HREF='http://forum.daysailer.org'>website</A>).

Good luck with the new boat search and be sure to stop back if you end up with a DSII!
boone
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Thu May 20, 1999 12:00 am

Tom, my wife and I are in the same situation as this individual and his son. We are in Maryland - do you have someone we could contact.....we are one hour from Annapolis. Looking for a Day Sailer II.

Phil Nierad (woowie-at-erols.com)

Postby Guest » Fri May 21, 1999 12:00 am

Probably won't help you in Maryland, but there was a nice one for sale here in Dallas, and very reasonably prices (around $1300). I was looking for a DS1, but I wrote down the guy's name and number. John Kimmey 2 972-248-4125. Have no idea if he still has it, but there's a chance he does...this was 6 months ago.

Kevin Clark
Dallas, Texas
DS11791

Kevin Clark (clarkr-at-aud.alcatel.com)

Postby Guest » Fri May 21, 1999 12:00 am

Phil,

The Severn Sailing Association, in Annapolis, across the Servern River from the Naval Academy, has a very active DS fleet. You can get information about the club at http://www.clark.net/pub/ssa. The page with information about the Day Sailor fleet (and activities in the mid-Atlantic states) is at http://www.clark.net/pub/ssa/Classes/DaySailor.htm.

There are also fleets that sound like they are close to you in Richmond, VA, High Point, NC, Eastern PA, Clinton NJ. Go to www.daysailer.org/fleets2.htm to view a more complete list.

KABay

Keith A. Bay (kabay-at-execpc.com)

Return to Day Sailer II Only