Daysailer II trailer

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Daysailer II trailer

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 13, 2003 9:21 am

Looking for a new or used trailer for my Daysailer.
Any recommendations?
Or any recommendations on modifying a trailer to facilitate quick launch ramp loading.

Dave Cravener (davecravener-at-earthlink.net)

Postby Roger » Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:18 pm

The type of trailer you choose is dependent on your typical launch facilities and how far you are from them. If you do any long distance hauling, your trailer rims should be at least 12 inches in diameter, and you should carry a spare tire. If you only sail in one area, you can get away with a smaller trailer or perhaps even just a launching dolly. The slope and depth of the ramp should determine what you need. I have been using an EZ-loader with tilt-rollers at the back, a keel roller in front of the centerboard, and a bow roller, which seems to work fine even hauling up from dry land. The bottom of the hull is 18" above the ground and I am able to back the trailer until the top of the wheel fenders are just under water. The wheels of my truck are in about 6 inches of water and I can step out of the cab onto the shore without getting my feet wet.

I notice however that when loading, there is some chance that the boat is not centered on the keel roller. I look at trailers that have two sets of tilt rollers, (front and back), and no keel roller and it seems that even if the boat dosen't go on straight or the keel is somewhat off center, it still sits well supported. A keel roller under the centerboard does support the centerboard in transit and takes some of the load off of the uphaul. The other item to consider is the slope of your ramp where you typically launch. I try not to back my tow vehicle so far into the water that it is above the hot exhaust and/or hot wheel bearings. This should also be a consideration if you tow you trailer a long way prior to launching. Letting the bearings cool and unplugging your lights increases their life expectancy.

If you have a long shallow ramp you may want to consider a tilt-tongue trailer to ease launching and loading.

If you have quite a steep ramp and the trailer submerges so that you can float the boat on, you may be able to get away with carpeted bunks to provide full length support for your boat. This is great support for trailering your boat, but at a shallow ramp can be almost impossible to launch and retrieve due to the friction. Wetting the carpet helps, but generally carpeted bunks are for lighter boats.

I have also seen trailers where the tongue extends so that the trailer can go further back into the water without the tow vehicle going in. This is great for beach launching if the shore if firm enough that you won't get stuck.

Finally a good winch and retrieving belt are necessary unless you can float your boat on to your trailer. A tiedown near the back and a security chain for the boweye are other essentials for highway travel. As well there are several different methods of trailering your mast. Most involve a cradle above the winch and a rear support that fits into the gudgeons on the transom. If you are only trailering a very short distance, and have a mast tabernacle, only the rear support is necessary if the mast must come down for transport. Where I sail there are no overhead wires between the ramp and the boat compound a quarter mile away where the boat is stored year round, so the mast stays up. The east side of the road has overhead street lights however, so all masted traffic uses the west lane independent of whether they are on the right side of the road or not. It works for us, but confuses the heck out of the tourists.

Hope all these tidbits help in choosing the type of trailer that is right for you.
Roger

Return to Day Sailer II Only