DS III

Regarding the DS3 only. Note that the DS3 is not a class-legal Day Sailer.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: DS III

Postby jalmeida51 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:47 pm

One problem with Day Sailer 3 it has a higher freeboard why that matters I don't have the foggiest idea. It seems to me every builder of Daysailer were built differently. Some have a keel stepped mast, some have a tabernacle, some have a liner, some have coamings some don't. So what makes the Daysailer 3 the unwanted boat, I don't know. But should be answered by the class association. Put it at rest because it doesn't help growing the class.

I hope the association starts adding races for non-measured boats this might help the poor turnout for class events. I believe NACR 2019 had about 15 boats?

I don't race, I don't want to race. Just someone that wants to go out for a sail.

The only reason I am a member is the Forum it is well worth the $35 a year.

Maybe all members should be able to vote for class officers and other important matters? after all we all pay the $35
John
jalmeida51

Postby Cliff » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:13 pm

Off topic (sorry GL) but from the DS Quarterly one of the top boats crew had the skipper get heat stroke at the practice race. He went to the hospital missed the entire event. He's from MA as am I, and can not imagine why anybody would want to go to Galveston in the summer.
Cliff
Cliff

Postby GreenLake » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:59 pm

Next Nationals will be in Eugene, OR. Perhaps heatstroke is less likely there?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Cliff » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:35 pm

I think that's highly likely. Following the NACR in June the Northern Cal fleet had 21 very competitive boats at the High Sierra Regatta. I note many of the same names as the NACR. The NACR winner came in 2nd to the more local boat #13164. That #13164 has won NACR in the past.

I take it that these competitors trailer their boats to the meet. That's quite a commitment to someone on the other side of the country. I wonder if there is any thought to have a more central meet in the midwest--say around the western Great Lakes MI Wis, Illinois. Having lived in St Louis for 3 years it gets consistently hot and humid in the summer. There's never any guarantees of weather but south of Chicago it gets pretty tough in the summer.
Cliff
Cliff

Postby GreenLake » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:25 pm

Trailering a boat across the country isn't everyone's thing. But some people do it (for all kinds of events, or even just for fun). At the Texas 200 I met someone from the upper Midwest who later to his boat to the Pacific Northwest for some island cruising. Not a DS owner, but similar size boat. I've sailed far from my home waters, but then on other people's boats.

There are a number of regional events, but they are organized either around an existing fleet or local people organized and added a DS fleet to some existing event.

I'm either spoiled or ruined, take your pick: our big local event is a weekly no-handicap race, which is very challenging for all the wrong reasons, but not really a competitive event. It's challenging because the winds can be erratic, the traffic is something else, there are boats up to 75' in the race and the start line is never square. However, it's a good test of your boathandling skills nevertheless and great fun and the other dinghy sailors are a wonderful crowd, even if they all sail the "wrong" boat.

Understandably, I'm not much interested in seeing whether I can coax the 2-3 other DS owners that I know of (or suspect) in the region into some more cleanly "competitive" event just for the DS; that seems a lot of work for no additional return. I've also seen none of them at the weekly event even though it's well known to locals who aren't even sailors. I've tried intersting some of them I've spoken to over the years, but with not much success. They may all be like Jim, happy to use their DS for cruising and / or meditation on the water. One DS owner I met is a university professor and uses his boat to get students on the water for observations / sampling.

I used to be content with that as well, but being accepted as part of a small community of oddly-mismatched small-boat sailors is something I wouldn't want to miss. And, I've found, having a scheduled occasion does get me on the water more often.

However, for any of you that don't have a ready-made venue, you could try to organize some meeting of local DS owners; whether a joint cruise or a race around fixed marks. Or, you could check whether there's a mixed-fleet local or regional event going on and try to get enough other DS owners there to join as a your own fleet. Cutoff is usually 3 or 5 boats of the same class.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Previous

Return to Day Sailer III Only