Leaking around the centerboard

Regarding the DS3 only. Note that the DS3 is not a class-legal Day Sailer.

Moderator: GreenLake

Leaking around the centerboard

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:34 am

I just purchased a 1987 Daysailer III. Much to our surprise, it takes on water in the bilge at about 1/2 gallon per hour. We first discovered this after it had been in the water for a week and when we open the caps to look in the bilge, it was full of water. We wonder if it can be leaking around the bolts holding the centerboard in place. When we took it out of the water, it dripped water from the right side of the centerboard. We would appreciate hearing of any experience with this and how to repair it.

Sam Foster (mbmaturo-at-comcast.net)

Postby Roger » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:51 pm

I too have lake water coming up into the bilge, about 7 gallons in four hours, (1 3/4 gal per hour). (About an ounce a minute), essentially a small leak. I plugged the centerboard uphaul inter hull gap, (see link)

http://www.bobhunkins.com/mt-archives/DS2CBTLK_100.pdf

ensured that the hull/deck joint was well sealed, and tightened and siliconed the nuts on the centerboard pivot bolt. I can't think of any other place the water would be coming in, but the first thing I am going to do is retighten the nut on the pivot bolt, and re-silicone around it. If that is enough, I will purchase and replace some rubber washers/gaskets from the daysailer parts dealer in the parts and accessories section of the home page of this forum.

I think this is a design fault, because it is reported quite often, although there are some owners who report a totally dry bilge, to the point of dusty!
Roger

Postby Roger » Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:37 am

I am copying Pete's response on another thread related to our problem. Perhaps this will help with a diagnosis....
>Try trailering the boat, let the water runoff, put some water in the bilge with a hose and see where the water leaks out. This should be where the water is leaking in as well.
Posted by Pete Tenerowicz on July 13, 2004.
Roger

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:23 am

Rudy at drmarine.com sells the rubber washers for the centerboard pivot bolt. He recommends using white grease around the pivot bolt & washers, not silicone. White grease worked well for us -- no leaking at all.

Brooke (brookelise-at-comcast.net)

Return to Day Sailer III Only