General rigging

Regarding the DS3 only. Note that the DS3 is not a class-legal Day Sailer.

Moderator: GreenLake

General rigging

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 11, 1999 1:00 am

Purchased a 1986 DS III in Sept on Cape Cod MA. Sail number 12977 and the hull plate seems to show an ODAY manufacture. Can anyone simply explain the DS , DS II, and DS III confusion to me ??

Does anyone have advice on operating the centerboard.Works very hard. My first Day Sailer in '68 used the handle.

Any thoughts on a boom crutch? My first one used one but on the new one, the boom does not reach the transom. Use a topping lift??

Any thoughts on local parts/dealers and fleets/regattas near Cape Cod??
Just getting in to it and quite excited about getting involved in DS activities.

Thanks for any input.

Dave Roscoe East BRidgewater MA

Dave Roscoe (w1dwz-at-rcn.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 11, 2000 12:33 pm

Dave,
I have a 1986 Daysailer 3, hull # 13222. The best site for explaining the differences is on the Day Sailer Assn site, http://forum.daysailer.org and look at "Newbies" link for "how to buy" link. Has photo's and all. They also have a list of fleets.

The "Daysailer II only" discussion goup (here) has a thread that has a good example of centerboard rigging that applies to DS3's also. Search for "Paul Diglio".
My CB is a bit hard to get out, the first couple of inches, then frees up nicely. It drops very well. I saw that ds2's and ds1's have some problems keeping board down. Mine seems to be weighted. Maybe that's one of the fixes for the DS3's that makes them NOT meet Class rules. My question is, Is there an established handicap for racing DS3's???
My boom crutch is two slats of oak that are connected at one end and scissor open to hold the boom. The are approx 2" x 1/2" slats. Don't have the lenght off hand. The lenght is long enough to keep boom level. You could probably get away with using two old broom/mop handles. The lenght is approx the same and most people throw away their old mops anyway.
I looked at topping lift but couldn't see a attachment point on mast. Boom crutch folds small enough that it's not needed.
I have gotten parts from Westmarine. check http://www.westmarine.com and request a catalog. Also, this web here has a parts link.

Tom Mack
Emmaus, Pa.

Tom Mack (tommack-at-fast.net)

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 14, 2000 11:45 am

Welcome to Day Sailer ownership! Your Day Sailer III was indeed built by O'Day. To answer the question about a boom-crutch, the length of each piece is about 55", I have one and bought it from D&R Marine in Assonet, Ma. it cost about $55 but to me it was worth it! Rudy Nickerson at D&R Marine is THE source for O'Day specific parts! He is the former Parts Dept. Manager for O'Day and if he doesn't have it (or know where to get it!) you don't need it, the phone # is 508-644-3001, fax 508-644-3002. He is practically right off Rte. 24 at exit# 9 or 10, on Water st.
My centerboard (I have a 1979 DS II) "sticks" if retracted fully, but once down to the point where the block on the up-line is about 7-8" aft of the mast it will just drop.
The biggest reason that the DS III is not "Class-Legal" is that O'Day raised the freeboard towards the stern on that model, thus the hull is not truly "one-design" with the DS I, II, and IV. I also have heard that O'Day made the changes without getting permission from the DSA.

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Return to Day Sailer III Only