Water in hull in area of the bow

Regarding the DS3 only. Note that the DS3 is not a class-legal Day Sailer.

Moderator: GreenLake

Water in hull in area of the bow

Postby jefflw » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:32 pm

After a day on the lake I removed the drain plug from the stern to drain any water from the hull. If anything came out it was while I was driving. When I got home I reinstalled the drain plug.

However if I shake the bow I can hear water sloshing around in there. Any recommendations on how to get the water out of the bow?

As a side note, since I have a brass drain plug, do I need to wrap teflon tape around it to get a water tight seal?
jefflw

Postby persephone » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:34 pm

Hi Jeff,
My only thought on the water in the bow is have you tried tipping the boat up (and it might take a whole lot of tipping, say 5-6 feet high at the front). I'm guessing you have a DS2 or 3 with the enclosed cockpit? I had a javelin that was constructed similarly and there were a number of baffles and stringers that separated small areas from the bilge drain. Also how far from center is the drain plug? The jav's was near center and there was a 2" high stringer running the length of the hull outboard of the drain, so no matter how high I would tip the boat there was always some water left over.
As to the metal plug, are the threads tapered or straight? If you're not sure does the plug thread all the way into it's hole requiring the same force as it does, or does it tighten up while the plug is still partially out. If it is the latter then you have a tapered plug and thread sealant should not be needed.
Hope that helps.
Geoff Plante, former DS1 owner
1950(ish) vintage National One Design.
persephone

Postby jefflw » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:27 pm

I have a DS3. The drain plug is not in the center but approx 1/3 of the way across the transom from starboard. And the drain plug itself isnt tappered. So I guess it may be good idea for me to use teflon tape, I guess water may have been seaping in.

Im on a hill so I could park the trailer out on the road and then raise it up to see if I can drain anything. But with the drain being off center I probably wont be able to get everything out.

Looking at the manual I bought from Roger Conrad for the DS2, theres a drain tube coming out of the forward bulkhead. The water is in the forward bulkhead.
jefflw

Return to Day Sailer III Only