Getting Started

Regarding the DS3 only. Note that the DS3 is not a class-legal Day Sailer.

Moderator: GreenLake

Getting Started

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 24, 2003 2:16 pm

I just moved up from sailing a Sunfish and a Puffer so am a real newbie. I bought a 17' Day Sailer III from a neighbor on our small lake and promptly capsized in a failed first start. Any suggestions on where I can find info on rigging for the DS3, especially for the mainsheet to boom (this appears not to have a traveler) and some suggestions for easing the center board down -- it works terribly hard and apparently always has. We've bailed out and decided to read a bit before trying again. Many thanks.

Ann Henderson (ahenders-at-skidmore.edu)

Postby psness » Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:39 am

Yikes. I will be buying a DS II this Fall and am absolutely green at sailing but the seller is a friend and "old salt" and will give me some hands on instruction. I wouldn't want to take the wife and kids out and capsize the first time - it wouldn't be a good "sell" to the family on the sport of sailing. One thing I read about sailing safely with centerboard boats is to keep the line in your hand in order to let the mainsail loose before capsizing can occur (foregive me for not knowing the proper terminology).
psness

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:33 am

The Day Sailer III has basically the same rigging as the DS II, there is a DS II rigging guide posted on this site, check the home page. Otherwise, a complete manual is available from D&R Marine (508) 644-3001 for the DS III, it is a thick notebook. I also have a DS II manual that will at least give you a start, in fact I printed up a slightly modified version for another DS III owner about a month ago. E-mail me at daysailermanual@juno.com if you are interested in obtaining a copy.

Rod Johnson, "SUNBIRD" (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Return to Day Sailer III Only