motor

Regarding the DS3 only. Note that the DS3 is not a class-legal Day Sailer.

Moderator: GreenLake

motor

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 22, 1998 12:00 am

I would like to put a motor on my Day Sailer 3 as we have a long creek to come out of from our dock. What hp. and what length shaft would be best.

Karl Sidenius (sidenius-at-villagenet.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 23, 1998 12:00 am

You might look under the "Repair and Improvement" category. In fact, since your question really applies to any Day Sailer, you could have posed your question there.

There's at least one motor discussion that I've seen, and one guy was saying a very light, long-shaft 3-5 HP motor works best. Another guy was very happy w/ his electric trolling motor. I don't have a motor so I can't help you much.

Kevin Clark
Dallas, Texas

Kevin Clark (clark-at-aud.alcatel.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 25, 1998 12:00 am

I have a 1998 3.3 HP Mercury. It was the smallest / lightest (28 lbs) engine I found with a neutral gear and an integral gas tank. This way the engine can be started and run without always being in forward. I find this feature very convenient. I mount it directly on the transom of my DS II with a rubber pad. The 3.3 has plenty of power.

Ron Lutzel (RLutzel-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 26, 1998 12:00 am

I just got a Day Sailer III a month ago and I hooked a Mariner 2.5 hp (short shaft) on it,I put it on the transom for now but need a mount bracket so that it can sit lower.If you are going to mount your motor on the transom you well need a long shaft.As far as power the 2.5 hp works well for me.

Jose Montes (montesss-at-hotmail.com)

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 26, 1998 12:00 am

I have a 1975 DSII and have a 2HP. short shaft that works well but is a little under powered in heavy wind. If you use a short shaft you must make sure that the "plane" just above the prop is below the bottom of the hull to assure proper water flow over the prop or it will cavitate. I hate having a motor but it has been handy too. good luck.
Jim B.

Jim Brown (beaner-at-fuse.net)

Return to Day Sailer III Only