Galveston Bay Race Week - March 2007

Discussion of events open to DaySailers

Moderator: GreenLake

Galveston Bay Race Week - March 2007

Postby Bob Hunkins » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:22 pm

Dear Day Sailers:

I've heard of some exciting plans for March of 2007. There is a group here in Houston planning to host a week of one-design racing during March of next year. I was contacted as the representative of the Day Sailer class here, and was this will be a "don't miss" opportunity for one-design sailors from around the country to come together, and enjoy some great sailing conditions.

There will be some top talent in the sailing world here and some of the best race officials running the races. (I'm told that the PRO's will be paid, if that means anything.) There will be some great parties afterwards as well. I don't know which yacht clubs will be the venues, (if there's enough participation from a lot of classes there may be more than one club) but there are three big clubs in the area which have excellent facilities I'm certain it will be at one of those places.

After the races each day there will be seminars and lots of top racing talent to rub shoulders with. March is a great time to sail in this part of the country - it's not too warm yet, and we have a 10+ kt sea breeze. Temperatures are usually in the 70's- 80's.

I am hoping we can have a Day Sailer fleet - at least 10 boats come out for this. The location is excellent - only halfway between the other two coasts. Speaking as a sailor who has sailed in both the East and West, I think you would enjoy the sailing conditions here. It's different from Lake sailing, and more like the Chesapeake, but still a different environment. I think that any Day Sailer who doesn't come to this would regret it.

Things are still in the early planning stages, and the plans are necessarily tentative. To have this there needs to be hope of participation and for participation there needs to be an event. Kind of a catch-22.

The idea is to have this during the spring break week. - I'd like to gage our class' interest in this.

If you would contact me however you want and let me know the extent of your interest I'd appreciate it.

Let me know the following:

If this were to happen during a week in March would you be interested?
Would the timing of this event coinciding with spring break be a factor? If so, which week in March would you prefer?

thanks,
Bob Hunkins
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby Bob Damon » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:40 pm

Although this may conflict with the Mid-Winters held in Sarasota I think it would be something new and another opportunity to show the flag. It would be a long drive but at least somewhere warm! I will consider it.
Bob Damon
Class Measurer

Postby Grady » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:11 pm

I would attend, I would like to talk to other owners of daysailers. I have only been sailing for a coupple of years now. maybe in a nother year I could enter the race and not come in last.
Grady

Postby Bob Hunkins » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:35 pm

Grady,
You should sail with the fleet 64 folks at Lake Arlington. They run races pretty often. Get practiced up and come out next year!
-Bob
Bob Hunkins
#11750, "Surprise"
San Leon, Texas
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Return to Events