2008 Daysailer NA's

Discussion of events open to DaySailers

Moderator: GreenLake

2008 Daysailer NA's

Postby Baysailer » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:38 am

I know that Zach Railey is in a tight battle with Ben Ainsley at the olympics, that Greg fischer edged out Mike Ingrahm at the Thistle nationals and that the Lightning NA's are in tight battle in the front.

What I don't know is how Phil, Dave, Dean, The Fiocks, Mike Gillum and anyone else lucky enough to go did at the DS nationals. A report like we saw for the PCC's would be cool.

Fred
Inquireing minds
Baysailer

2008 NACs results

Postby jzsailgirl » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:20 pm

Here are the results in brief:
1. Dave Keran
2. Dean Iwahashi
3. Greg Adams
4. Kevin Williams
5. Phil Root
6. Mike McCaffrey
7. Kenton Hendricks
8. Bill Fiock

Apologies to the crews for not listing their names and for any misspellings. I can elaborate if anyone has questions. Dave and I were pretty happy to bring it back to California. Go Fresno fleet: 1, 2! Mike Gillum wasn't in attendance.
jzsailgirl

Postby Bob Hunkins » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:45 pm

Official results are up on the web site with a set of photos!
http://forum.daysailer.org/pdf/08NACRResults.pdf
http://forum.daysailer.org/daysailer/08NACR/
http://forum.daysailer.org/pdf/08NACRJrResults.pdf
http://forum.daysailer.org/pdf/08perpetual.pdf

Congrats Dave (and I assume Janette)!

As someone who knows the value of good crew it would be good to get their names also.

Accounts of the event would be good to hear!
Last edited by Bob Hunkins on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Hunkins
#11750, "Surprise"
San Leon, Texas
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby Sean McGuire » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:48 pm

From the photos, I didn't see any DSII's only DSI's and III's. I didn't think the III's were class legal. Great photos in any case. Makes me want to get back on the lake soon!

Thanks,

Sean McGuire
1984 DSII "Iona"
Sean McGuire

Postby Tim K » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:27 pm

no DSIIIs there....but a hand-full of Sunfish-Laser DSIs in the regatta (maybe that's what you see...)

for those of you who weren't there - one word: awesome.

some pretty steady moderate-heavy breezes for the first two days of racing. I think there were two swampings (Phill.....) and one capsize. We didn't get a race in on Sunday, but there was still enough wind for a nice cool-down sail around the lake (why go all the way out west and stay on shore?).

What a beautiful place to sail - not to mention the hospitality shown by the EYC - they made the event exciting, relaxing, and fun.

Hope to see you all next summer in Chatham!
DS 3366
Tim K

Postby Bob Hunkins » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:45 pm

Day Sailer III's are not class legal. The hulls are not the same as the DS I's and the DS II's and therefore are not the same boat.

DSII's have been proven in general to be not as competitive as the DS I's.The Sunfish Laser and Cape Cod boats , despite having the closed in cuddy , are still DSI's. There's no such thing as a DS IV, despite what the CCSB literature says.
Bob Hunkins
#11750, "Surprise"
San Leon, Texas
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby Sean McGuire » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:26 am

The enclosed cuddies through me off. My DS identification rules were DS1 = open cuddy and wood comings, DSII = semi-enclosed cuddy and no wood, and DSIII = small square cuddy openings and no wood.

The tops of some of the cuddies also looked a little wider and flatter than my DSII. All the "sailing" parts of the hulls (where they touch the water) looked the same.

Thanks,

Sean McGuire
1984 DSII "Iona"
Sean McGuire

Postby Bob Hunkins » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:53 pm

It's not so much the enclosed cuddy that is the distinguishing feature.

The DSII has:
    A molded in seat liner with a significant air space between nthe hull and the seat liner.
    No thwarts
    The after deck is essentially non existant
    The center board is controlled by lines, not a brass handle
    Always has a closed off cuddy.

The DSI has :

A Brass handle to raise and lower the centerboard
    An after deck, about 1 foot wide coming forward from the transom, often with a recessed well for a motor, sometimes not. (I used to think it was a small ice cooler, but it doesn't work very well for that purpose. - Putting insulation around it might help make it useful, though :-) )
    Usually has thwarts, except for some boats between class number 700 and 800 which were built without them. (If any one has a boat in this range, let us know what your boat is like to help us understand this peculiarity)
    If it has a double hull or a molded hull liner, has no appreciable air space in between the hull and the liner. My Spindrift boat is like this.

If it has a closed off cuddy, the boat was built by Sunfish-Laser Inc. and now Cape Cod Shipbuilding. the CCSB boats have a larger hatch which opens towards the inside, unlike the SLI boats. I've seen severl SLI boat wit hthe match removed and a wooden door used instead as a weight saving measure, rather like the DSII.

The older three digit DSI's (Pre 700?) had wooden seats and thwarts instead of fiberglass seats. the floatation tank arrangement was a little different, too.
Bob Hunkins
#11750, "Surprise"
San Leon, Texas
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

North Americans Photos

Postby bflosail » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:05 pm

Great Photos, looks like a great race :D really enjoyed viewing them

Joe
bflosail

Postby adam aunins » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:46 pm

I think it would be a good idea if some one were to put together a photo gallery showing all of the changes made through the years and builders, in detail. Of course it's always easyer to think of good ideas than do them.
adam aunins

Postby Bob Hunkins » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:20 pm

bump
Bob Hunkins
#11750, "Surprise"
San Leon, Texas
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Return to Events