Is regional DS championships possible?

Discussion of events open to DaySailers

Moderator: GreenLake

Is regional DS championships possible?

Postby jdubes » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:38 pm

I didn't want to hijack Bob Hunkins thread on "Non-racing activities concurrent with '11 NACR. Interested?" so i thought i would start another. http://www.daysailer.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3499#14864

So the 2011 NACR is in TX and 2012 will be in CA. With my address being on the east coast that limits my participation for the obvious reasons.

Has the DS Association ever had regional championships? I'm not talking about specific regattas sponsored by a club but governed by DS rules. Something like the Eastern Daysailer Championships or Northern Daysailer Championships etc...

This seems like a great way to increase participation. Because as it stands now i won't be attending a NACR activity until 2013. And that only works if i assume the 2013 is in the same time zone.

Jason
jdubes

Postby jpclowes » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:26 am

Jason
I think there is a New England Regional championship every summer. If you look under the Day Sailer Association tab, and go to "Fleets" you should be able to find more contact info. Bob Gafney is the Regional V.P. He should be able to point you in the right direction.
J .P. Clowes
Eastern Great Lakes Regional V.P.
DSI 14083
jpclowes

Postby swiftsail » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:04 pm

We have Pacific Coast Championship every year. This year it was in Eugene, OR.
DS 307 "Security Risk"
DS 14024 "Flight Risk"
Live Slow, Sail Fast
swiftsail

Postby GreenLake » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:40 pm

The suggestion that Bob put forward about adding additional activities to turn championships into more broad-spectrum events could be applied to regional championships as well - turning them into a venue for all DS owners, not just the competitive racers.

I posted my take on Bob's suggestions in the other thread. That would apply equally to regional events.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Bob Hunkins » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:23 am

The focal point for each region is the regional V.P.
Try contacting the appropriate person on the Board of Governors page http://daysailer.org/dsa_fleets.php
If your region does not have one, contact the Secretary, join the class association and get to work!
Bob Hunkins
#11750, "Surprise"
San Leon, Texas
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby Imgaryo1 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:56 pm

There are really two regional events that rotate between New England and the Mid-Atlantic regions. They are the Daysailer Inter-Regional Championship Regatta and the East Coast Championship Regatta.

Some of us make it down the the One Design Midwinters in Sarasota, FL every march. Hint-Hint!
Jaghen--Sail number 2551
Imgaryo1
President

Return to Events