The 2013 New England DaySailer Meet Up

Discussion of events open to DaySailers

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: The 2013 New England DaySailer Meet Up

Postby RhodySail » Tue May 28, 2013 2:19 pm

Still on! I summarized the agenda from the email in a post above. If anyone didn't get it who is coming shoot an email to me at dljohnstonlaw@gmail.com
RhodySail

Postby K.C. Walker » Tue May 28, 2013 3:00 pm

I'm looking forward to it!
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby Moose » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:22 pm

Any updates?

I'm going to try and get everything ready this weekend so I can just pull out of the driveway next Saturday. Wanted to get a shake-down sail in but it looks like the meetup will end up being the first sail of the season. Excited!

Edit: Looks like it's going to be great weather too!
Moose

Postby Moose » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:58 am

Rhodysail,

Do you know how much parking in the lot for the day is?

Thanks!
Moose

Postby seandwyer » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:27 am

Very jealous of you guys! Maybe next year or the one after for me. Assuming you keep having these.
Sean
DS1 - 3203
seandwyer

Postby RhodySail » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:33 am

Team:

Weather is looking good : 76 & mostly sunny.

Parking is free at the lot.

CAPTIAN'S MEETING: 10 AM Oakland Beach Boat Ramp, Warwick R.I. Western end of the parking lot (away from the ramps).

I'll bring a laminated chart to review before we head out and someone can borrow it for the afternoon.

I recommend bringing some swimming gear as well as some pants and a wind breaker it can get chilly sitting on the beach if the breeze is still up.

I have a rough boat count (5) but I need a head count so I can grab an appropriate amount of food & beer. Please respond with the total number of people expected in your boat when you have a chance.

Looking forward to the weekend!
RhodySail

Postby K.C. Walker » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:38 am

Sean,

As trailer sailors, I can see being able to draw from a fairly wide area. If this turns out to be as fun as I think it will be, I can see future events happening. Though those from Annapolis might disagree, the Narragansett Bay is considered the best sailing on the East Coast.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby K.C. Walker » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:45 am

I'm looking forward to this event! My boat number 7002 "Red Tail", total crew of two, one of us does not drink beer, but maybe I'll have one for him. Simple food sounds great, dogs, and burgers. I'll bring a mess of potato salad. I'll be happy to chip in on food and beer.

See you for the captains meeting.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby Moose » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:35 pm

I'm in for two people total and also willing to pitch in for food or bring something we might need.
Moose

Postby K.C. Walker » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:23 am

So…I try hard not to let the bottom of my boat touch anything but the carpet on my trailer. I admit, I've never beached my boat. So, I need some advice for technique and anchoring off in shallow enough water to be able to walk ashore at this rocky beach. Obviously, I have one anchor. Are you tying off a line to shore? Or do I need to bring another anchor to toss up in the shallows?
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby RhodySail » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:00 pm

That was a discussion I was going to bring up at the captain's meeting to determine exactly where we should meet. (I have shockingly low regard for the care of my bottom and am glad to beach anywhere but I certainly respect the cringes of other owners).

One anchor along with a longer line to tie up to shore should be fine. Conversely if you're up for a wade or swim don't worry about the longer line.

We have 2 options for the cookout. One is sandy beach w. easier beaching/wading but a longer sail home or a rocky beach which can be slightly tricky anchoring off of but offers a short route back to the ramp. Both offer a place to light the grill and kick back for a while.

Time from the rocky beach to the ramp is about 30-45 minutes whereas the sandy beach is probably about and hour - 1:20.

I think the wind forecast for the day should be our biggest consideration as wind speed and direction along with the tide can make anchoring at the Rocky beach quite a chore or incredibly simple.

The "sandy" beach is located "between the islands" as its called around here. It is on Patience Island just west-southwest of the narrow channel separating Patience and Prudence Islands. There is a tidal flat right which remains calm and makes for very easy anchoring and Quahog gathering.
RhodySail

Postby Moose » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:41 am

Trudging through water on a cooler, windy day doesn't sound great. but a short sail back to the ramp sounds better than a long one. We usually keep two anchors on board so between the two maybe we can keep off the rocks, not that my hull is in great shape. So, I'm in for the rocky beach.

Are we planning to more or less stick together as a group or is this more of a free for all?

Also, has anyone/do we want to post about this on the DS Association Facebook page?
Moose

Postby RhodySail » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:37 am

I didn't know there was a DS facebook page but I'm all for posting it. The more the merrier
RhodySail

Postby K.C. Walker » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:27 pm

I don't know anything about the Facebook page, either.

As much as the idea of seeing sunset from the island sounds good, I'd be heading back in time to be able to pack up the boat on the trailer before dark.

I figure this is a group sail, so we'd at least keep each other in sight. Of course, I'll try my best to sail circles around you all…

I'm not familiar with sailing on the bay. I like the idea of keeping everything open and according to conditions.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby Moose » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:53 pm

Sounds good to me, I'd also like to get back by dark.

Edit: Apparently the day sailer association has a Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/DaySailers/ which seems to be run by Bob Hunkins.
Moose

PreviousNext

Return to Events