The 2013 New England DaySailer Meet Up

Discussion of events open to DaySailers

Moderator: GreenLake

The 2013 New England DaySailer Meet Up

Postby K.C. Walker » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:25 am

I do think it would be fun to get together for a sail in 2013. This event never did materialize in 2012. However, it seems to me that it would be easier to start out small. I think a New England DaySailer meet up for a single day event would be much more likely to happen.

I've been interested to see that the Florida trailer sailors do get together on a fairly regular basis. They do seem to do single day events and also longer events. To get a critical mass for a trailer sailor get together, it might be easier to start out with an open, bring whatever you have, get together.

I'm right on the Rhode Island border and often sail into Rhode Island waters from Barn Island State boat ramp. This is a fabulous venue for DaySailers. The parking lot is large and the ramp is really good. It does get crowded on weekends at the height of the season, or when the fish are running. This is on Little Narragansett Bay. The waters are protected here because of Napa Tree Point and Sandy Point. However the breeze is often really nice because those points are really just sand dunes. For longer sails, when it's not too rough Block Island sound is great, as well, and easy access.

Of course Narragansett Bay is about as good as it gets. So if you are over that way and have a good venue, I'd be interested in a meet up over there, as well.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Re: The 2013 New England DaySailer Meet Up

Postby GreenLake » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:21 pm

K.C. asked me to split the 2013 posts from the 2012 thread. Hope this gives the event more exposure.
WIshing you good luck in getting together a get together.
Last edited by GreenLake on Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: user request
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby RhodySail » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:31 pm

I've never sailed down by Westerly I'd love to check it out.

A good route that I have sailed before is the so-called "Circum-Prudence Island Route" in Narragansett Bay. Launch from the Oakland Beach Boat Ramp in Warwick, R.I. (Warwick Cove) and sail around Prudence Island. Its a long sail, about 21 miles, but with winds typically in the mid teens on summer afternoons its certainly do-able in a day. If the wind is not in our favor on a particular day we can always abandon getting around the island and sail the Greenwich Bay area or out to the islands for lunch.
Also, there is a great spot on Patience Island (smaller island due west of the North portion of Prudence) to make a stop for lunch which has a great view of the sunset for those with running lights.

(FULL DISCLOSURE: I moor my DS in a small cove off the north coast of Greenwich Bay so I'm partial to the area since I know it)

I'm also interested in some of the routes suggested in this post from last year in the Elizabethen Islands and Buzzards Bay area. I've spent some time up there on my 30 footer and there are beautiful spots. Too much current some places for a DS and I'm not sure about camping rules, I know most of those islands are private, but I'm certainly game for an over-nighter there as well.
RhodySail

Re: The 2012xxxx2013 New England DaySailer Meet Up

Postby Moose » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:59 am

I will be out of country the first two weeks of July, but I'd like to see this finally happen.
Moose

Postby RhodySail » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:38 am

How about a June day trip? I'm thinking June 15th with a rain date for the following week June 22nd.

We can do the Prudence Island run and stop for grill-out on the beach at the Northwest Point of Patience Island. I can drop off a grill w. some coolers, etc. out there in the morning w. my center console or have some friends meet us out there with the goodies. Like I said in the previous post we could always abandon going around the island sail off the beach for the day. Less ambitious for sure but I have no problem staying closer to the grill.

If your'e interested keep me posted and I'll mark the dates. I've been trying to get a link to show the ramp and the island but I'm having some trouble so google map search the following if you're unfamiliar with the area;

Boat Ramp: "Bay Ave. Warwick, R.I." (ramp is at the end of Bay Ave, you can see it easily w. the satelite map)

Island: "Patience Island, R.I."
RhodySail

Postby K.C. Walker » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:10 pm

Rhodysail,

This is a great suggestion! I'd love to do this one. I'll mark those two dates.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby RhodySail » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:34 pm

Great, its on then. Hopefully we can some more people in the area together as time goes on and make it a true party. Here's a sunset shot from the Northwest Point of Patience I took last spring. Don't mind the two jolly idiots on the left. Looking forard to it.
Patience NW Point.jpg
Patience NW Point.jpg (28.34 KiB) Viewed 47963 times
RhodySail

Postby K.C. Walker » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:01 pm

The photo is a very good enticement. We'll be the core group of two and hope that others will join us. They would be nuts not to!

Some friends of mine used to have a slip over in Newport and Prudence was their destination of choice. They rave about a shallow cove that they enjoyed anchoring in for overnights. I've sailed out of Wickford, using their boat ramp, and also Bonnet Shores. As I said earlier, it doesn't get much better than sailing the Narragansett Bay.

Thanks for resurrecting this get-together! I look forward to seeing and sailing alongside your restored DaySailer.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby GreenLake » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:17 am

It occurred to me that it would be a good idea to share a link to this topic in the Daysailer face book group. I'm not sure everyone there knows about the forum, so if one of you has a facebook account, it would be a good place to advertise.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Moose » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:18 am

I'm still interested in this, it might work out if I don't put my boat on the mooring before then. I don't have a truck so trailering is a hassle sometimes.
Moose

Postby K.C. Walker » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:19 am

Moose,

You KNOW this is going to be a really fun day! Fairhaven is not that far. For years I hauled my 700 pound sailboat from Stonington Connecticut to Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire behind my four-cylinder Volvo without a problem.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby Thomasjbrothersjr » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:05 am

Just took a look at the schedule... Looks clear. By that time I will have worked out any links the KALEIGH B may have encountered. I checked out the map and it looks like about 90 miles or so from my house. I can't wait!

Is this really happening?

Is there a contact person?
"It's not the towering sail, but the unseen wind that moves the ship"

1983 O'Day Daysailer II "KALEIGH B"
Thomasjbrothersjr

Postby K.C. Walker » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:15 am

Thomas,

YES THIS IS REALLY HAPPENING! That is because I'm planning on being there. It is informal and the first year that it's actually going to happen. We've talked about it for a couple of years and somehow it has not happened. With three of us committed and excited about it, you, me, and RhodySail, I think there's a pretty good chance that others will join us.

Think of it as an adventure sail, so be prepared to be independent. We're hoping to be able to circumnavigate Prudence Island. Being that these are RhodySail's local waters and he knows them well, we will rely on him for guidance. Though, I am planning on buying a chart for Narragansett Bay. He also has a "picnic boat", that is, a center console runabout to take coolers to the beach where we plan to picnic.

Though my "Red Tail" is a work in progress I have done extensive refurbishing/modifying, however, not enough to keep me from sailing each year. I know that RhodySail just finished an extensive refurbishing of his boat, so it will be fun to see what others have done. These are sweet boats.

We should probably firm up some details, such as launch time, and goals, with alternate plans depending on conditions. Let's all hope for an early start, fair winds, and sunny skies. It will, after all, be one of the longest days of the year, being so close to the solstice!
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby RhodySail » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:48 am

Hey Guys, I'm excited we're getting some people together I hope more will join in too.

For those who are coming shoot me an email at dljohnstonlaw@gmail.com so we can discuss details

I'm thinking that we keep it fairly open as far as an itinerary or any real plans and make a game-time decision once we meet up and know the forecast and ambition level.

I'm thinking two possible plans of attack:
First go for the long route and make it all the way around Prudence Island with a shorter stop on the way back;
or Second stay a bit closer, probably "race" around the smaller Patience Island or run out to and around Hope Island (its kind of fun to sail right up against the rocky shoreline between the big boulders and Hope Island) and have more time to hang by the grill and campfire on the beach.

Like I say shoot me an email and we can discuss the options a bit further as well as talk about camping options in the bay for those who are so-inclined.
RhodySail

Postby triathjohn » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:25 am

I am interested in coming and bringing Quiksilver. It looks like the date is Saturday June 15th with June 22nd as a rain date. I'm not sure if I can talk my wife into it. Are any of you bringing someone along? Of course, I will be coming the day before from Buffalo. Does anyone have motel recommendations?
I've had my boat for about 16 months now but that includes 2 Buffalo, NY winters. I have only sailed it half-a-dozen times. I really need to learn much more about setting it up and sailing it. No support group here in Buffalo. Please keep me informed of plans and meet up locations. I will be looking at Google Maps to plan my trip. My boat is a 1984 Spindrift DS1 version. It has a keel stepped mast and I'll be looking for guidance as to how I might cut and hinge the mast as I struggle stepping it. I trailer it to the water when I want to sail.
1984 O'Day (Spindrift) Daysailer I 17'
# 11730
triathjohn

Next

Return to Events