2013 North American Champions ship Results

Discussion of events open to DaySailers

Moderator: GreenLake

2013 North American Champions ship Results

Postby Bob Hunkins » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:15 pm

Congratulations to Mike and Mardi Gillum on a 3rd straight NACR Championship!
Results: http://forum.daysailer.org/daysailer/13NACR/2013_DS_NACR_results.pdf

Congratulations to Jake Kelly for winning the Junior North American Championship!
Results: http://forum.daysailer.org/daysailer/13NACR/2013_DSNACR_JR_Results.pdf
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Re: 2013 North American Champions ship Results

Postby Baysailer » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:01 am

My hats off to mike and Mardi the entire california contingency for an exellent showing and everyone who competed and of course Deb Mason-McCaffrey for perennially offering excellent photos.

Fred Burleson
Baysailer

Postby Mike Gillum » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:40 pm

Thanks Fred and I'm also very proud of my fellow Northern California DS Fleet contingency!
Northern California DS Fleet Members ended-up 1st/Team Gillum, 3rd/Dean Iwahashi, 4th/Dave Keran & 6th/Craig Lee with Michael Measures, Todd Hansen and Kiernan Hansen from Morro Bay/Central California Coast rounding out the west coast contingent with Michael in 10th overall.
That means NorCal took four of the top six and Cali five of the top ten! Even prouder as we predominately sail flat water venues!
Past DS NACR's Champions Bob Blake, Jr. #2028 and Mike McCaffrey #3797 were almost always at the front end of the fleet regardless of the conditions and local female skippers Robin Richards #4536 and Erika Seamon #275 proving to be really fast in the lighter conditions!
While the final scores say otherwise Mardi and I didn't simply "cruise around the race course unmolested" rather we had to work hard on all legs to beat Craig Lee in race 1, we beat Mike McCaffrey to win race 2, came from behind to win race 3 after trailing most of the race to beat Dean at the finish line, we won race 4 with Dean dogging us all race, took our throwout in race 5 when by some strange freaky luck I saw the loose port shroud tangling to leeward as we prepared to tack avoiding breaking the mast after the Staymaster on the port shroud somehow came undone shortly after the start forcing us to limp back to SSA on a port reach under Jib only using the Spinnaker & Main Halyards at the port Guy Hook holding the mast up in steep chop and 12-18 knots while watching the fleet romp around the race course in the best wind of the series, we watched in slow motion a great start in race 6 come totally apart due to a barging boat then scrambling back to second and then win the last race while keeping a watchful eye on Mike and Dean match race!
Claudia Minicozzi and probably all of DS FLeet 1 did an absolutely fantastic job of hosting and organizing the 2013 DS Junior NACR's & 2013 DS NACR's!
Severn Sailing Association made us feel at home at every turn with members we never met constantly asking if we needed anything or if they could help us!
Mike Waters/PRO and his merry band of Race Committee volunteers did an outstanding job all week to get in all seven races in sometimes trying conditions with the forecast early in the week looking rather bleak with mid to upper 90's and humidity in the low to mid 80's with neither usually making for good wind!
A huge thank you to Bob Blake, Jr. for loaning us his backup DS #3691 "WAVE". I spent all day Monday adding/upgrading rigging and we did scramble Tuesday morning to find the find the necessary 60# of corrector weights prior to the first race of Junior DS NACR's with WAVE proving to be the equal of our DS #2772 BUBBA!
Thank you to Bonnie & Jim Urban (former SSA DS owners) who housed us during the week and were simply the quietest hosts Mardi and I have ever experienced as we didn't meet them until we were preparing to leave Sunday morning following DS NACR's as they were away the entire week!
We're also anxiously awaiting the rest of Deb Mason-McCaffrey's photographs!
I ask that those of you we didn't see last week at Annapolis start making plans for 2014 DS NACR's and regardless of your finish you'll have a fantastic time!
Mike Gillum

Postby Bob Hunkins » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:03 pm

Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Return to Events